Location of Pearl Town Rivelin

davems

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help with this location and reason for it being called so?

I have relations in the 1841 census shown as living at Pearl Town.

The other addresses are

Roscoe Wheel

Pearl Town

Rivelin Bridge

Mousehole Forge

The relations surname is Guite and occupation is file grinder

Thanke

Hi davems - welcome to the Forum! I can't help regarding Pearl Town, though I wonder if there might be a connection with pearl cutters - people who worked with mother-of-pearl, from which knife handles were made.

But the name Guite rang a bell with me, albeit in a context later than 1841. In case you haven't seen this reference to the Guite family, I'll quote here from the notes by Sylvia Pybus printed on the back of the reprint of the 1902 Ordnance Survey map of Rivelin Glen published as "The Godfrey Edition":

The Guite family had lived at Holme Lane, but their home had been destroyed in the great Sheffield flood of 1864, and they moved to Walkley then to Rivelin Glen Cottages. One of the young Guites went on errands to the nearest farm at Same Hill to buy milk and started to help the Birks, who grew fond of him. Eventually the Birks asked to adopt him and on their deaths he inherited the farm and became well known in the area as a milkman.

Hi hillsbro

Many thanks I am aware of this association and the map.

I have relations at a later time at Roscoe Wheel and at Spooner Wheel.

All Guites and all file grinders but I am very intrested in this reference to Pearl Town.

Ta

Archived