Should we change a name for a film?

I think it's regarded as a "cool thing" among younger black guys. More than likely originating from Rap

Yes, I'm aware of that Harley but some of the less discreet mistakenly choose to use it in polite company. To be honest, I've also heard white youths addressing each other similarly in 'mockney' patois.

The British film industry is doing alright, I think one even managed to pick up a few Oscars this year, as did another British movie in 2009.

Oh yeah I forgot. The King's Speech. Excellent film and well deserving of the award.

I was just curious why Hollywood is involved in making something as essentially British as the Dam Busters?

I could ask any American movie goer under 60 if he/she knew anything of the Dam Busters and their expolits and I would flat out guarantee that not a one of them would have a clue.

I'm assuming therefore the film when finished wont be released very widely to American audiences.

Oh yeah I forgot. The King's Speech. Excellent film and well deserving of the award.

I was just curious why Hollywood is involved in making something as essentially British as the Dam Busters?

I could ask any American movie goer under 60 if he/she knew anything of the Dam Busters and their expolits and I would flat out guarantee that not a one of them would have a clue.

I'm assuming therefore the film when finished wont be released very widely to American audiences.

I think that you may have answered your own question. Maybe it's precisely because not many Americans are aware of the story that Americans are interested in remaking the film.

Yes, I'm aware of that Harley but some of the less discreet mistakenly choose to use it in polite company. To be honest, I've also heard white youths addressing each other similarly in 'mockney' patois.

Seems a shame that after so many years of hard struggle for equal rights and racial equality that these youngsters use the word so freely. You're right though BF. Those of the older generation who remember the bad old days need to give em a slap round the earhole

I think that you may have answered your own question. Maybe it's precisely because not many Americans are aware of the story that Americans are interested in remaking the film.

I'm somewhat sceptical about it's success among younger American audiences who are the big majority of movie goers. They're not much into stories of WW2 these days.

"Pearl Harbour" was an absolute flop and is now shown only on late night movie shows or on sale as DVDs for five bucks a pop

Neither Dambusters nor 300 have an obligation to be 100% historically accurate.

Why not, claiming by a title to be one thing but being something else is wrong, just like a 'Bridge Too Far' claiming to be a film about the Arnhem landings with it's inaccuracies was offensive to real veterans.

The film 'Inn Of The Sixth Happines' was supposed to tell the story of Misionary Gladys Aylward, but even she said at the time it was mostly fiction and had little connection to her real experiences in China.

I could ask any American movie goer under 60 if he/she knew anything of the Dam Busters and their expolits and I would flat out guarantee that not a one of them would have a clue..

They'll probably think it's about a Muslim terrorist plot to blow up the 'Hoover Dam'.:o

Well, had the raids been as efficacious as was hoped against the Nazi industrial machine, and shortened the war in Europe, more people would know about it. But in the end the action - although audacious - was pretty inconsequential.

I think they will have to if they want to make their money back.

But a film doesn't have to be good to coin it in at the box office.

Archived