Should we change a name for a film?

...I'm sure if you wanted to my username might cause you raised eyebrows, but nobody as yet has censured me for having it.

The original 'Boy Friday' was dark-skinned, but his significance in Defoe's book was that he was more than a servant; he was a trusted companion who could be relied on.

The Urban dictionary defines a 'Boy Friday' as: "... A 'go to' boy; a man who will help you get things taken care of; a man you can rely on when you are in need of extra assistance; ..."

I've seen job adverts asking for a 'Boy Friday' and I suspect that most people reading them would have a pretty good idea of what the job involved and few - if any - would think that the colour of their skin was significant.

The original 'Boy Friday' was dark-skinned, but his significance in Defoe's book was that he was more than a servant; he was a trusted companion who could be relied on.

The Urban dictionary defines a 'Boy Friday' as: "... A 'go to' boy; a man who will help you get things taken care of; a man you can rely on when you are in need of extra assistance; ..."

I've seen job adverts asking for a 'Boy Friday' and I suspect that most people reading them would have a pretty good idea of what the job involved and few - if any - would think that the colour of their skin was significant.

I agree Rupert, if I'd believed it was offensive I wouldn't have chosen it-I was simply responding to Iuchi's post regarding someone with the username 'ginger kid' who was apparently censured for having it-some might take a similar view to my username, but I've not received any comments about it-I'm trying to debunk the argument that suggests people are routinely sensitive about such things.

It's a film. Most of it isn't going to be true. If they were to make it as accurate as possible, no one would want to watch it as it would no doubt be a terrible film. People are making thjis a bigger deal than it is.

The film makers promise the remake will be more accurate than the original which was made at a time when some of the technological and operational details were still secret. There are also lots of innacuracies which are listed on the Wikipedia page about the original movie.

Let's see though. The original will still remain one of the most memorable of the British war films and I doubt the remake will take its place. It's a pity there's so much of a storm about the name of the bloody dog.

In your example it's being used offensively-just as 'white' would be offensive in 'white b******'.

Could you give us an example of the word 'black' being a 'no no'?

I'm not fishing Glamrocker, I'm genuinely intrigued because the only people I've ever heard saying so are those who claim their freedoms are being restricted by their belief that they're not able to use it.

Its not people with their beliefs in such its more of a case of PC gone wacky,if I were to post on here "you know Boyfriday..the black guy" the thread would be red hot with certain people calling me racist for using the word black,you know that ,I know that and you also know the people I am referring to,blimey Iv been accused of colour prejudice recently on here without me making any reference to a persons colour so just think if I did use BF and black in the same sentence the furore it would cause

Incidentally Iv never heard of anyone getting arrested for calling someone a white *******,I know quite a few who have used the sobriquet coupled with the word black end up getting collared

The film makers promise the remake will be more accurate than the original which was made at a time when some of the technological and operational details were still secret. There are also lots of innacuracies which are listed on the Wikipedia page about the original movie.

Let's see though. The original will still remain one of the most memorable of the British war films and I doubt the remake will take its place. It's a pity there's so much of a storm about the name of the bloody dog.

They can promise all they want. I can pretty much guarantee that it will not be accurate. Accuracy doesn't make for good films.

Its not people with their beliefs in such its more of a case of PC gone wacky,if I were to post on here "you know Boyfriday..the black guy" the thread would be red hot with certain people calling me racist for using the word black,you know that ,I know that and you also know the people I am referring to,blimey Iv been accused of colour prejudice recently on here without me making any reference to a persons colour so just think if I did use BF and black in the same sentence the furore it would cause

Oh lordy, you know that isn't true Glamrocker!

I've regularly seen other posters use the word 'black' or 'darkie'-I do so myself and the posts remain-it's about the context it's used in. I was pulled up by a couple of posters the other night for using the word 'Brit', someone claimed it was racist, another said he was English and found the term offensive, I'm not saying you were one of them but you were contributing to the thread (since deleted), so you might recall.

Incidentally Iv never heard of anyone getting arrested for calling someone a white *******,I know quite a few who have used the sobriquet coupled with the word black end up getting collared

You must keep some peculiar company Glamrocker. Personally I've never encountered anyone who's been arrested for calling someone a 'white' or 'black' b******.

But the original wasnt accurate either, so we've lost nowt either way.

True, this is why I don't know why people are getting so upset about a name being changed, there will no doubt be plenty of other innacuracies too. That's just the way it is. I just hope it's a decent film.

Oh lordy, you know that isn't true Glamrocker!

I've regularly seen other posters use the word 'black' or 'darkie'-I do so myself and the posts remain-it's about the context it's used in. I was pulled up by a couple of posters the other night for using the word 'Brit', someone claimed it was racist, another said he was English and found the term offensive, I'm not saying you were one of them but you were contributing to the thread (since deleted), so you might recall.

You must keep some peculiar company Glamrocker. Personally I've never encountered anyone who's been arrested for calling someone a 'white' or 'black' b******.

What planet you moved to ,like I said I get accused of colour prejudice when iv never mentioned anything to do with colour just immigrants or muslims,they band them into the colour spectrum and try to pass the buck

Archived