Trooping the Colour -isn't it the same every year?

Didnt they mention last week that this weeks show would be at a different time ?

Trooping the colour was good. They mentioned that last year 1 million people watched it on TV in germany, so definitely a market for it :)

• 2 years later...

If I enjoyed cricket then I would prefer cricket to be on.

I do like Saturday kitchen, however being an ex serviceman I love Trooping of the Colour.

For me it is the martial music, the uniforms, the enormous pride of the young lads on parade, as an ex drill instructor it is trying to find faults( which I never do) and the pomp and circumstance which only we Brits can do.

Saturday kitchen is on every week, cricket, football, rugby are on tv constantly.

I doubt that the tourists who attend the Trooping of the Colour are the same each year and I understand that it is a big tourist attraction.

Those tourists bring a lot of money with them and spend it in the UK.

It was said that a guy comes from Australia every year just to see it.

This isn't meant to be an anti-monarchy thread so much, as a rant about coming back from walking my pooch to sit down to my usual fare of Satuday Kitchen, which I didn't see because it had started at 9.00am. so they could put Trooping the Colour on.

From what I can see, it is exactly the same as it was last year and the year before so is there a need to show it live and bugger around with the schedules to do this?

John X

Write to BBC I'm sure they will apologise for changing the schedule and making you miss a big girly cooking programe which is on every sat all year round, whilst just once a year our proud Heroes are parading their well earned Battle honours for which many a person has lost their lives fighting for their country, anyhow if you had looked in a TV book you wouldn't have missed such drivel. :loopy:

It's a novelty to the Aussies, the sight of scroungers filling up taxpayer-funded mansions watching aircraft with their children amuses them.

Quite a rant for just one Australian coming to London!Maybe he has other reasons to attend this event as well.Such as visiting family or wanting to see for himself how friendly Sheffielders are.

This isn't meant to be an anti-monarchy thread so much, as a rant about coming back from walking my pooch to sit down to my usual fare of Satuday Kitchen, which I didn't see because it had started at 9.00am. so they could put Trooping the Colour on.

From what I can see, it is exactly the same as it was last year and the year before so is there a need to show it live and bugger around with the schedules to do this?

John X

in answer to your question ,it's a very british institution i would say of course its the same each year, its akin to the opening of parliament traditions dont often change and the trooping of the colour goes way back in our history when trooping the regimental colours was a way to show the soldiers where to regroup with their own regiment,and remember the guards are the oldest regiment in the british forces so who better to be on parade with an amazing display of close order drill,after all no one does drill better than the guards regiments

Archived