Are mobile calls charged by the minute or by the second?

Are mobile calls charged by the minute or by the second?

I am on the o2 "Talkalot" tariff and the charges stated are by the minute, but if i say made a call that lasted 30 seconds (half a minute), would I be charged only for half the minute rate?

Anyone that can help with this greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The reason why I ask is because I have noticed that I was charged 25p for a 14 second standard call to an 01 no.!

And 50p for a 9 second call to an 0704 no. (hospital patient bedside no.), which i had dialled and believed HADN'T been connected before hanging up.

Does anyone every use their free minutes and free texts …………. If they do they are on the wrong tariff.

I get 600 minutes and unlimited texts on O2 at the moment, £35 a month, I only ever use about 150 minutes a month, might try and blag a lesser, cheaper tarriff when I upgrade at the end of August.

The reason why I ask is because I have noticed that I was charged 25p for a 14 second standard call to an 01 no.!

And 50p for a 9 second call to an 0704 no. (hospital patient bedside no.), which i had dialled and believed HADN'T been connected before hanging up.

The hospital bedside numbers are charged at 50p a minute and always 'connect' to the service before being directed to the bedside phone, so you will be charged whether or not a person picks up the phone at the other end - they're known for being a rip off!

I think most calls are charged 'per minute or part thereof' so if you make a call of 61 seconds you would be charged two minutes.

I get 600 minutes and unlimited texts on O2 at the moment, £35 a month, I only ever use about 150 minutes a month, might try and blag a lesser, cheaper tarriff when I upgrade at the end of August.

Have you seen the new tariffs for o2?

http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/paymonthly

http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/payandgo

They're shockingly bad now.

I pay £15, and get unlimited internet and texts.. I still get the £15 so use that for calls (I rarely make calls tbh and use the land line if I do)

But you can't get anywhere near that anymore. They've changed them all to £XX.50 too, so that you have to top up extra just to get the allowance.

I understand that how you're charged depends on the provider. Some UK tariffs seem to be a bit high (higher than I want to pay) but there are also some pretty good deals and charges in the UK are often lower than elsewhere.

I use a Tesco pay-as-you-go sim when I'm in England (good value and the balance doesn't disappear) a TKS sim in Germany (reasonable prices, but the balance reduces by 2 Euros a month if you don't use it - though when it gets to zero, the phone will still receive calls and you don't lose the number) and a Virgin phone in the US. That's a real ripoff! - If I don't top it up every 15 days (with $15) the balance zeros out and after 3 months, I lose the number (but get another when I reactivate the phone.) I also have to pay to receive calls - another ripoff.

Archived