Someone enlighten me process of buying used car with no road tax?

eh last time i tried to buy a tax disc, post office in rotherham would not accept black/ white or photo copy of insurance document

If you print off swift covers note off the internet it is acceptable, its only faxed copies they can refuse, its a valid insurance certificate.

I know 100% the one in attercliffe accepts them and most others, when i was in the car trade we use to go tax customers cars for them at attercliffe using the black and white printed cover notes from the free 7 days insurance.

give the dealer the equivalent of 6 months tax in addition to the agreed price and ask him to tax it on your behalf. it's not much to ask and its the only way he will sell the car

if he still wont do it then i think i'd be tempted to walk away since i'd be worried that there was something not quite right about the car and/or the dealer

I agree I would be extremely suspicious of a dealer who refused to tax a ca if you gave him the money.

I do this every year as I take my car off the road for four months and cash in the tax.

you need a SORN, an MOT certificate, and an insurance cover note to get a tax disc. You can get a cover note emailed to you immeadiately after you get the insurance on the phone.

the cops don't need to see this anymore now that it's all computerised, as they can check to see if a car is insured without even getting out of their own car. The only reason you need a cover note these days is to get a tax disc.

give the dealer the equivalent of 6 months tax in addition to the agreed price and ask him to tax it on your behalf. it's not much to ask and its the only way he will sell the car

if he still wont do it then i think i'd be tempted to walk away since i'd be worried that there was something not quite right about the car and/or the dealer

I agree I would be extremely suspicious of a dealer who refused to tax a ca if you gave him the money.

I agree with this too. Every dealer I've bought a car from has taxed the car for me if I give them the money, thought it was the norm.

Archived