Wrought iron gates, powder coating or painting, whats best?

Can anyone give me some advice about wrought iron gates. Had several quotes, but some have said powder coating is best, some have said painting them is better, Advice welcome please.

Wire brush and Hammerite paint( or generic substitute) £20 max.

Can anyone give me some advice about wrought iron gates. Had several quotes, but some have said powder coating is best, some have said painting them is better, Advice welcome please.

personally, i would paint them. Powder coating can go brittle & start to crack & peel when exposed to sunlight for a few years, then you will have to scrape it all off & paint them anyway!

Shot blast and powder coat. Drop me a mail and I'll give you some good names. \done right it will last years. Its the shot blasting that is the key.Any rust present and it will blow through no matter.

Powder coating, done properly (which means grit blasting then applied by a reputable coater) is very tough and lasts a long time.

However, if it does get cracked/damaged, it tends to lift slightly and let moisture underneath, hiding the rust build up. It's also a nightmare to remove when the item next comes up for stripping/recoating.

Stripping with wire brush and applying xylene based paint (Hammerite being the usual culprit) is very effective, easily touched up and lasts for years. We use a lot of xylene coatings and powder coating for a number of different applications, both of which have their advantages.

For garden gates, I'd have them blasted then use Hammerite.

Archived