What proportion of the population works weekdays 9-5?

A lot of reference is made in the media about 'the weekend', 'thank god it's Friday', 'Monday mornings' etc all related to the traditional working week of Monday to Friday and working from 9am to 5pm (or minor variations like 8am-4pm, 10am -6pm).

I wonder what proportion of the population this applies to and how many feel left out as it doesn't apply to their personal circumstances. When you take into account young children, pupils, students, shift workers, home workers, self employed, the retired, stay-at-home housewives/househusbands, consultants and the unemployed I'm sure that the number of people who work the traditional 9 to 5 will be less than 50% of the population.

Does anyone know the exact number? And is it time for the media to recognise that large numbers of people don't fit the stereotype?

I've never worked the 9 to 5 schedule myself and never will.

you've forgotten that anybody that works in any sort of service industry, like bars, restaraunts, hotels, etc definitely does not work 9-5 and is in fact more likely to work the weekends and bank holidays than any other days. Some people START work at 5pm and they don't get out of bed until noon. But they're not lazy - they just cater to the rest of them that are finishing their 9-5 type shifts.

you've forgotten that anybody that works in any sort of service industry, like bars, restaraunts, hotels, etc definitely does not work 9-5 and is in fact more likely to work the weekends and bank holidays than any other days. Some people START work at 5pm and they don't get out of bed until noon. But they're not lazy - they just cater to the rest of them that are finishing their 9-5 type shifts.

I probably forgot loads of people. Airline staff who work overnight long haul flights for instance. My point being how many people actually do the Monday to Friday 9 to 5?

Theoretically I work 9-5 but often end up having to work at home in the evenings and weekends to keep up with the increasingly complex and heavy workload related to my original job. I also have additional work that's arrived courtesy of the fact that reductions in staffing have meant I need to pick up some of the workload of other people (needless to say my pay didn't increase proportionately). Finally, because people see me as good at my job they often turn to me to do other extra tasks "because we know you'll do it well".

Good job I (mostly) enjoy going to work. And at least I've got one.

Theoretically I work 9-5 but often end up having to work at home in the evenings and weekends to keep up with the increasingly complex and heavy workload related to my original job. I also have additional work that's arrived courtesy of the fact that reductions in staffing have meant I need to pick up some of the workload of other people (needless to say my pay didn't increase proportionately). Finally, because people see me as good at my job they often turn to me to do other extra tasks "because we know you'll do it well".

Good job I (mostly) enjoy going to work. And at least I've got one.

"The most willing donkey carries the heaviest load."

A lot of reference is made in the media about 'the weekend', 'thank god it's Friday', 'Monday mornings' etc all related to the traditional working week of Monday to Friday and working from 9am to 5pm (or minor variations like 8am-4pm, 10am -6pm).

I wonder what proportion of the population this applies to and how many feel left out as it doesn't apply to their personal circumstances. When you take into account young children, pupils, students, shift workers, home workers, self employed, the retired, stay-at-home housewives/househusbands, consultants and the unemployed I'm sure that the number of people who work the traditional 9 to 5 will be less than 50% of the population.

Does anyone know the exact number? And is it time for the media to recognise that large numbers of people don't fit the stereotype?

I've never worked the 9 to 5 schedule myself and never will.

Shouldn't it only be the % out of the people that work that you consider?

the retired, stay-at-home housewives/househusbands and the unemployed don't count against the figures surely, it's still the weekend to them, it's just that they never work.

Maybe you could have added a poll and we could have voted for our personal circumstances.

Edit - I work Mon - Fri, normal office hours with flexi (so normally 8ish until 4ish).

Archived