White kids with jamaican accents?

It's a hard accent to copy and I imagine the hard pressed cockney wannabees (black & white) believe it gives them some credibility-even Jim Davidson did it better :hihi:
It was usually 'his mate Chalky White' he referred to in those tales.

I liked the one about Chalkie being towed on his bicycle behind an E-Type that got into a race with another car. You may disagree (I'd be interested in your take on this), but I never found there to be any malice or unpleasantness in the way Davidson used race in his jokes.

. You may disagree (I'd be interested in your take on this), but I never found there to be any malice or unpleasantness in the way Davidson used race in his jokes.

The master on crossing the barriers without any malice had to be Charlie Williams , turning the thread on its head, I used to work with a black bloke who used to put on a ridicules Yorkshire accent, maybe he got the idea from Charlie.

I have a very dear friend who is Jamaican, when he is talking to any members of his family or Jamaican friends his accent is very strong , which I think is brilliant, but when he is chatting to me or any of my family its a lot softer. I asked him about this and he didnt even realise he was doing it.

I agree with the OP it is stupid, but have you also noticed the walk a lot of them have also affected, the sort of limp or dragging of one leg, usually before greeting a friend with Yo Man and bumping fists!!!

Not only is it stupid I also feel it is a bit disrespectful.

It was usually 'his mate Chalky White' he referred to in those tales.

I liked the one about Chalkie being towed on his bicycle behind an E-Type that got into a race with another car. You may disagree (I'd be interested in your take on this), but I never found there to be any malice or unpleasantness in the way Davidson used race in his jokes.

I've no problem with black folks being parodied, some of the funniest jokes Ive heard have been directed at people because of their race (black & white), I just didn't find Jim Davidson funny, I guess Bernard Manning was cleverer..but I wouldnt have wanted to be in one of his audiences ;)

I have a very dear friend who is Jamaican, when he is talking to any members of his family or Jamaican friends his accent is very strong , which I think is brilliant, but when he is chatting to me or any of my family its a lot softer. I asked him about this and he didnt even realise he was doing it.

I think that's something we all do mym8, mirroring the accent/behaviour of people we're engaging with.

I agree with the OP it is stupid, but have you also noticed the walk a lot of them have also affected, the sort of limp or dragging of one leg, usually before greeting a friend with Yo Man and bumping fists!!!

Not only is it stupid I also feel it is a bit disrespectful.

Disrespectful to whom?

Sorry about that after I posted it I thought disrespectful was the wrong word to use.

What I was trying to say, why do these white teenagers think that doing these strange things will make them seem more streetwise or "hard" or whatever they are trying to do.

And what do black teenagers really think of this, I ony know about half a dozen black teenagers but none of them have ever spoken to me like that.

I still don't know if this makes sense, please forgive a confused woman!!

Archived