Cycle to work scheme

My Employeers are doing the cycle to work scheme this year, is it any good?

Its in partnership with Halfords, looking at their range it seems over priced anyway, I have however seen 1 bike I like the look of/spec of.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_518223_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

Is it any good? What else would you suggest, ideally dont want to go over £600.

Many Thanks

Well I currently drive from Sheffield to Wakefield so I probably wouldn't use it for commuting (unless to park outside the city center for free parking and bike in). But as its salary swap if I spend £500 it would work out I pay around £23 p/m after tax for 12mths, meaning a £500 bike would cost around £280.

As he won't be commuting it's not really an issue.

The Boardman range are good, not sure what the cheapest one starts at though.

The Boardman range are very good and fast becoming one of the main new factors in Halfords recovery.

I'm looking at a Boardman hybrid Team, they are an excellent bike and are on at £699 at the moment.

Why anyone would spend £600 on a bike for commuting is beyond me. Bought mine for £50 on here and has lasted me four years and still going strong.

I've paid £50 for a seat post before, my last bike was nudging at the £1600 mark and it never ever saw any muck or rain as it was purely for tinkering about and showing off with.

If I was commuting seriously for a good distance I would never touch a cheap bike, in fact in the last couple of years I have seen 3 crappy full suspension cheapos frames crack on bikes at work, now all those involved ride £600 to £900 bikes.

Why anyone would spend £600 on a bike for commuting is beyond me. Bought mine for £50 on here and has lasted me four years and still going strong.

Especially in Sheffield where you can't travel 100 yards without having to go up a hill

I might look a bit more closley at the Boardman range, is there anything wrong with the Carrera I posted as it seems to be good spec for the money?

Cheers

The Boardman range are a hefty step up in price from that Carrera but it looks ok to me.

J E James have some bikes on sale at that sort of price but when you get to the shop and ask them about them they look at you like you have just been gargling tap water from Chernobyl, plus they only ever talk to you if you are spending £30000000 on a set of disc pads.

It's OK, thats as far as I would go. On your massive salary I would spend more, especially as you pay less for it anyway because of the bike to work scheme. If you actually enjoy riding you will wish you had spent more and you won't be able to take it back or get another one through the scheme. The cash comes straight out your wages so you won''t miss it.

Check the Boardman ones out and make sure you try them for size and don't get one that's too big.

Archived