I have made an offer on a narrowboat

When In was 17 many years ago, I went on a canal barging holiday with my parents and some cousins. I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable holidays I have ever had. We travelled the length of the Warwickshire canal and back, it was fantastic! It was something that I could have done as a lifestyle.(365 dys of the year) but then I fell in love and life, mortgage, and kids got in the way.

The winters must be a tad harsh but it must be fantastic to be independent and just up sticks and go. Oh well, maybe one day....sigh

friend of mine bought a narrow boat quite a bit of damage due to a fire spent 2years doing it up.The big day came when it was craned into the water all was well. Came back the next morning the boat had sunk he had forgot to replace the bushes on the propshaft

I love to live on a narrow boat again if i had the chance. My EX i was with for 6ys use to live on one and i lived with him for 5ys on Tinsley. Was also good when Billy Connolly came and use our friend boat for his tv series we had a laugh with him. I got into the life very quickly and loved the people was so friendly (well apart at the time from the strawberry island boat club in Doncaster who was a bit snooty) and peacfull life you have living on these. Loved it to when the snow was down i see fishermen fishing wrapped up and me and my parnter be in shorts and t-shirts with the door open has the fire was so hot inside we did get a few strange looks then. We did do a trip to Boston with 5 other friends on the boats,took us 5 days to get there, its only 2hr or so in a car but it was worth it. If i ever got the money i get another one.

Well I've gone in at 20% under the asking price, it's a nice boat, good builder and a decent size (57 feet). It needs circa £5K spending on it as far as I can see, the offer is conditional on a full survey with the boat out of the water.

I've found secure marina mooring at £1800 p/a which is as good as I'm going to get. The annual British Waterways licence is £750 and fully comprehensive insurance is £250.

Unlike caravans and camper vans, these guys can hold their price if you don't pay over the odds and spend your refurbishment money wisely.

Good luck with it fella! It's something i have always fancied but the missus isn't keen at all. I watch all the programs on TV about doing them up. The one Alan Herd did for SKY was really good. I could see myself living in that one permanently :thumbsup:

I used to live by the side of the Grand Union in Leamington with a mooring point outside. I'd often have canal guys wanting to use my wifi so I eventually got a decent connection in and a proper wifi point for them to use - there are a lot of people do this and they seem to work on the honesty box principle. I got so much in mine it was embarrassing to see as it was way way more than the line cost.

Did you leave Leamington to come to Sheffield? :o I worked down in Leamington for a few months. If i could afford it i would deffo be living there. It's a beautiful place.

Narrowboaters do have problems similar to those that we all have to put up with. Water gypsies are a nuisance, these guys don't have moorings and will nick anything that's not nailed down. Drunken yobs on canal side paths like to damage nicely painted boats, and tramps will break into unoccupied boats for shelter. One that I didn't expect is yuppie drinkers at canal side pubs throwing empty beer bottles at passing boats.

Having said all this, fully comprehensive insurance for a 57 feet boat costs £250 p/a, so the insurers don't appear to be paying millions out in claims.

That is a good price for your mooring, i was paying £1 per foot /per week in the mid 80s.

I agree there are some dodgy places and people on the water but if i could afford it i'd buy another liveaboard boat tomorrow.

those were the happiest days of my life, good luck with your offer.

That is a good price for your mooring, i was paying £1 per foot /per week in the mid 80s.

I agree there are some dodgy places and people on the water but if i could afford it i'd buy another liveaboard boat tomorrow.

those were the happiest days of my life, good luck with your offer.

The British Waterways moorings confuse me, they are canal side with no security, they are auctioned at a minimum reserve with a guide price, they tend to go for circa £1500 p/a. If I can get a mooring on a marina that's locked at night for 60 pence per foot/per week, then that will do me.

The British Waterways moorings confuse me, they are canal side with no security, they are auctioned at a minimum reserve with a guide price, they tend to go for circa £1500 p/a. If I can get a mooring on a marina that's locked at night for 60 pence per foot/per week, then that will do me.

I was at Shardlow at the time but i moved to cheaper moorings on the Soar at Ratcliffe (Redhill)

Shardlow was great for security and facilities, it has a pub and chandlery but Redhill was better for me as there were no yuppies and it was a friendly helpful little community with a variety of moorings and prices, some serviced and some just a pontoon along a footpath (not BW)

It had cheap slipway fees with plenty of space for maintenance and repair on dry land.

The only problem with the popularity of boating on the up again is private marina's are charging more and providing less these days.

Archived