Benefits not to be cut to £26,000 a year - good new for low paid workers?

The Mail is wrong. This legislation is still going through Parliament.

The way its going to work is that families where nobody works will be limited to a maximum of £500 per week of benefit. Starting with cash benefit which then stops when you reach the limit. So if you get Income support and child benefit and tax credits and that reaches £500 you won't get housing benefit or council tax benefit, you'll have to pay your rent and council tax out of your £500 like everyone else.

That wasn't what I wanted explaining,

Could you explain why benefits not being cut to £26000 would please Daily Mail readers?

I quote

'Tory ministers are to backtrack on their pledge to cap state welfare hand-outs at £26,000 a year.

The retreat, which is a sop to Lib Dems, will overturn a promise that no household on benefits should be given more than the average family earns'

Not good enough. It should be 75% max. Otherwise where is the incentive to work?

i would pay them £240 a week for a family no matter how many kids they had....out of that they would have to pay rent/council tax/utilitie bills and feed/clothes the kids.....

not a penny more....just like our parents had to do back in the day.....and they were working

Three children would be £2,200 a year then.

I suspect it's only people living in London who get anywhere near those sort of amounts. The alternative to paying them, would be to force people on benefits to move out of London to somewhere with lower rental costs...

Bit off topic but is England the only country that pays people when they have children, or is it just in some certain circumstances they get money ?

Do you see?!

I see that you are destined to a lifetime on benefits so why keep going on about it, what you are saying is its not worth you doing paid work even if you could (No offence) , to me that is no different to someone with a brood saying its not worth me doing a minimum wage job.

PS

Not all Mail readers are Tory voters.

Archived