The History Of Charlton Brook Dam?

I never realy thought about it seeing that highgreen had something like half adozen dams dotted around. Howbrook, westwwood, Charlton, newbiggin, the one near the old 5 arches plus some that do't exist now. I think some must have been industrial but Im not sure about the others.:thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

Hi Folks.

Was going to start a thread on subject of Charlton Brook myself.

Will just add comments here !

The whole complex of dams etc was to provide extra water for the Thorncliffe Ironworks ( Newton Chambers ).

Does anyone know about the "old" weir on Charlton Brook ( now in ruins ) at The Barrel/School Rd end of the green space.

Wow, Charlton Brook I haven't thought about that for many years. Me and my friends always met up there after school and played around the dam and in the woods There was an overflow tunnel at one end and we were always climbing in and making it our fort. This was the mid 70's

StJohn

Ah yes, the tunnel. :)

I suppose the big story would be the cancer scare in the 70's where the dam / water / whatever was thought to be causing a cancer spike in the area. I was quite young, but it must have been quite a big deal at the time for me to remember it.

Edit: the only reference that Google comes up with is in SF. Surely there must be more info out there? Dr Evans worked / works at Burncross Surgery.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-10846.html

When i moved up there in the late 80`s, I`d been up a few months when i got a call from the environment office who informed me that i was polluting charlton brook. The council had routed our waste water pipe into the rainwater grate. They were going to fine us until they realised it was council property

Ah yes, the tunnel. :)

I suppose the big story would be the cancer scare in the 70's where the dam / water / whatever was thought to be causing a cancer spike in the area. I was quite young, but it must have been quite a big deal at the time for me to remember it.

Edit: the only reference that Google comes up with is in SF. Surely there must be more info out there? Dr Evans worked / works at Burncross Surgery.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-10846.html

Just a guess Tony, but the only Tony I can remember had a twin brother ?????

Archived