Thrown out of Wetherspoons

Dick

It's a pain, but the consequences for the pub are pretty high if they are found to be serving underage drinkers. It being a city centre pub, the chances of the polic coming in are a lot higher..

Also, perhaps they'd recently been caught or they've had a high number of underage drinkers in recently - I wouldn't take it personally.

However, the fact that they actually served you before asking for ID seems a bit backwards. I can only assume that the server thought you were old enough, but the manageress had cold feet..

As for getting ID, I suggest getting a passport. You're more than likely to go abroad in the next 10 years, even if it's just a weekend on the booze with your mates - so it's not like you never going to use it.

Plus you don't need to take a test :)

I was cautioned by the Police for selling to under age kids years ago.

I wasn't much more than a kid myself (about eighteen) but I served a guy who was 18 who bought drinks for his mates who were not. The police did a walk round and the kids fingered me for selling it to them.:(

And before anyone says anything, no I didn't know them

Here's a tip, hit the managers in the pocket. I used to work for Wetherspoons as a manager.

If you complain in writing, it is logged against the pub. Part of the managers bonus is based on complaints received. So get you and your mates penning letters to the a-holes that run the god foresaken company.

Its also nice to see em losing turnover and profit due to their ridiculous smoking ban too.

Sam

Originally posted by Dick

12 of us were in the Wetherspoons pub The Bankers Draft at the top of Angel St last Monday night at 9pm. Mostly students but a couple of older middle age blokes as well. The youngest were 20 years old. We all got served at the bar and some people ordered food as well. We were all sitting together having a quiet conversation when a woman aged 25 to 30 came up and introduced herself as the manageress and said we'd have to leave. She said some of the group didn't look 21. I said do you have to be over 21 to come in a Wetherspoon pub. She said no you have to be over 18 but if you don't look 21 you have to have proof of age. They'd got student ID but she wouldn't accept that because she said it's too easy to forge. She'd only accept a pasport or driving licence, which they hadn't got. The old blokes said they'd guarantee everyone was over 18 and if the police came in they'd handle any problem. But she wouldn't have it. She gave us 15 minutes to drink up and get out, so we cancelled the food and went round to the 3 Tuns on Silver St.

What's the point of Student ID if they won't accept it?

yeah sometimes they can be arsey like that. it's just one of those things....you're best staying up west street or something. some of the girls ive seen been let into pubs in sheffield is a joke. i was in the cutler once and this one girl must have been about 13/14...

Originally posted by JA5E

So what if you haven't passed your driving test? I wouldn't want to go round town at night with my passport in my pocket in fear of losing it :loopy:

You don't have to pass your test to have a provisional driving license which is accepted as a form of ID at everywhere I know of, except for HSBC. Unless they know you, in which case a green one will do. :loopy:

Archived