Maths puzzle that's driving me nuts!

And just to confuse you further, which sort of average were you looking for?

This type of question is usually looking for the mean which is the average that people have calculated so far. However the median (middle value) is 3 and the mode (most common) is 4.

More often than not when people refer to the average they are referring to the mean as I'm sure you know:).:)

This type of question is usually looking for the mean which is the average that people have calculated so far. However the median (middle value) is 3 and the mode (most common) is 4.

More often than not when people refer to the average they are referring to the mean as I'm sure you know:).:)

Additionally, let me state that if a maths/arithmetic question asks for the "average," it will always be referring to the mean because it implies that the people at whom the course is aimed, have not learn about mean/median/mode yet.

Don't mention standard deviations or we'll lose almost the entire forum...

Additionally, let me state that if a maths/arithmetic question asks for the "average," it will always be referring to the mean because it implies that the people at whom the course is aimed, have not learn about mean/median/mode yet.

Don't mention standard deviations or we'll lose almost the entire forum...

Or the 95% percentile - or mean deviation from the mean - or the normal distribution etc.

Archived