Should councils maintain the gardens of their properties??

Guest sibon
There should be fines in place for trampolines in front gardens too,

Fines are too lenient for such an offence. Electrocution might be better:)

As for keeping communal spaces tidy, I'd imagine that incentives and encouragement would work much better than compulsion and sanctions. There are loads of people out there looking for some land to cultivate.

Why should the state have to take care of what home owners consider to be part of their responsibilities? The fact that this question is being asked is indicative of the mentality of a certain breed of tenants, that the state should wipe their backsides from cradle to grave.

If it were me then those not willing to care for the state sponsored house they are granted should have it removed and then they get to do it on their own.

I apologise, I was wrong. It looks like in your case it was just that little bit too difficult for you to comprehend.

Yes, it's too difficult for me, so please explain what your point is and how gardening is linked to housework in terms of this thread topic?

Why should the state have to take care of what home owners consider to be part of their responsibilities? The fact that this question is being asked is indicative of the mentality of a certain breed of tenants, that the state should wipe their backsides from cradle to grave.

If it were me then those not willing to care for the state sponsored house they are granted should have it removed and then they get to do it on their own.

Councils shouldn't have to take responsibility, its up to the occupiers. And the neglect of some gardens is pretty bad - and often reflects the neglect of the house as well. Some Tenants' & Residents' Associations (TARAs) even have garden tools that they lend out or hire for a token amount.

As an oldie, I know the majority of gardens were much better kept in the days when there were rent collectors who went around every estate. A quiet word was often all that was needed. Of course, so many more people actually paid rent then, and in cash! But that was when council housing wasn't prioritised by 'need' and having a garden was something to aspire to.

I took the bus from Hillsborough to the NGH today, it goes past lots of council houses that have had extensive and costly improvements. There were quite a number of gardens that were completely neglected, full of weeds and with rubbish in them. Mixed in were some that were obviously cared for, I really admire those people for keeping their standards up.

Would it be an idea for local authorities to set up a gardening scheme for those that won't & don't (not can't) look after their garden, put a charge on the rent? It would increase employment; could pay for itself; and would improve the look of most estates.

Archived