Should councils maintain the gardens of their properties??

If you own your own house and leave your garden in a state, is there anything against that? Can you be forced to clean it up?

If you own your house, you can do what you like with it within reason. If you leave the garden to become a huge mess, the the council may try and get you to improve it, but they have limited powers.

If you rent from a landlord, you sign an agreement to say you'll look after their property, and in council tenancies that usually includes the garden. If the property is not looked after, then if you don't respond to requests, then warnings, as a very last resort the owner/landlord could take you to court and have you evicted.

If you own your own house and leave your garden in a state, is there anything against that? Can you be forced to clean it up?

YOur tenancy agreement with the council does state that the garden is your property and they can fine you for it being excessively overgrown which could lead to eviction.

I am in a council house and in my case I have a gardener to come do ours as my partner is crippled and I am slightly too lazy :P - he leaves it looking lovely though!

With the amount of inner council estates that have become eye sores in sheffield, is it now time the local council took some responsibility by regularly maintaining and tidying the gardens of their tenants over grown rubble filled council properties? or should it be the tenant who should have an obligatory duty to regularly tidy their gardens and be issued with punishable fines if they fail or refuse to keep their gardens within the agreed standard of cleanliness?

I am pretty sure that a few years ago council tenants were made to keep their gardens tidy and quite rightly so unless there is a good reason why they can't do it

Archived