How long a period before gods/religions become mythology?

A religion becomes mythology when another religion come along and forces everyone to stop believing in it.

So, if Scientology grips more and more celebrities, who are in turn worshipped by the western masses, it is likely that Scientology will push out the current bunch!

Yay! someone measure my thetan count!

A religion becomes mythology when another religion come along and forces everyone to stop believing in it.

I go along with this, and it's done in a fairly militant and aggressive manner.

Has a religion ever been pushed peacefully into obscurity or the pages of mythology?

Has a religion ever been pushed peacefully into obscurity or the pages of mythology?

You could argue that that is exactly what has been happening to Christianity in the UK for the past few hundred years, and we're all much better for it,long may it continue.

Here is a list of thousands of dead gods. Many were worshipped dutifully. Some had rivers of human blood running down the altar. Children were sacrificed to them. Now they are a distant memory.

Of course 'the one true god' doesn't fall in to this category because he is my ticket to eternal life. It's just every other civilisation that got it wrong.

Here is a list of thousands of dead gods. Many were worshipped dutifully. Some had rivers of human blood running down the altar. Children were sacrificed to them. Now they are a distant memory.

Of course 'the one true god' doesn't fall in to this category because he is my ticket to eternal life. It's just every other civilisation that got it wrong.

Ramen to that, brother!

It's just about falling into disuse really isn't it. We can call it mythology when there's no one left to be offended by it.

Or call it mythology now if you don't mind the delusional followers getting a bit hot under the collar.

pushed out and replaced with what?

secularism which is pushed by the media ?

should we instead embrace consumerism ? we already consume more than our fair share of world resources with not a second thought about were these mass produced items come from?

our lives and politics are dictated by BIG business who put only profits first

which has lead to a massive world divide in rich and poor!

were the poor remain poor ( despite them having natural resources)

and the super rich stay richer !

our world policys are unfair , cruel , murderous and at best hypocritical!

yet some fools say we dont need god?

WE ARE IN 3 WARS AGAINST PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEVER EVER ATTACKED US!

WE SUPPORT REGIMES WHICH KILL , TORTURE TO STAY IN POWER!

I THINK WE NEED GOD MORE THAN EVER!!

Well said. As it stated in the bible...'the love of money is the root of all evil'

Calling religious people delusional won't hasten the demise of anyone's belief system though.

And whilst I'm not a believer of any kind, I think there's a distinct lack of insight into religion generally.

Debates tends to revolve around the binary issue of the existence or the non-existence of god(s) which actually is pretty unimportant when it comes to dealing with religion in the real world.

I view religion, spirituality, metaphysics and so on as a naturally occurring epiphenomenon of consciousness. If was damaging to us as a species, one would imagine (given the speed of the evolution of ideas) that the notion of ultrabeings would have died out entirely - yet it has not.

There is no set timetable for when gods pass into mythology. I don't think it's a sequential matter, but an evolutionary one. Gods and religions, like language, change with time according to the needs of the people that practice it.

If always found it to be intellectually lazy (even though I indulge in it myself) to characterise people with belief as delusional, infantile, stupid or dangerous.

Something you do see a lot of around here.

[edit - although the glassy-eyed evangelism from "the other side" could sometimes be justifiably viewed as provocation]

Archived