How long a period before gods/religions become mythology?

I think many people here may be taking this a "lets all hate religion" thread.

Eventually one religion at a time will die out, it's natural progression and evolution of belief, I do not believe the OP means that this is going to happen within days but within in an extended time. Before the Romans came many people of Britain were Druids and believed in a totally different religion but different people brought and forced this religion upon us which now many of us cherish (not me mind, I am Athiest).

Many, many years down the line when you and I are gone and many more of our line has dissapeared and we reach the years of 2200's religion may have no basis at all...or the Flying Spaghetti Monster religion may be believed by all.

It would be delusional to think that just because you or you or you believe in one religion or another it will last forever.

The names and customs might change, but mankind has always needed a spiritual dimension to life, and 'God' has fulfilled that function since prehistoric times.

We now live in the age of science, but many very intelligent, scientificly aware people still believe in their Gods. I think we tend to assume that because religion apears to be in decline in Britain it's the same everywhere, but far from it. Around the World many more people practise religion and fervantly hold fast to their beliefs than don't.

The names and customs might change, but mankind has always needed a spiritual dimension to life, and 'God' has fulfilled that function since prehistoric times.

We now live in the age of science, but many very intelligent, scientificly aware people still believe in their Gods. I think we tend to assume that because religion apears to be in decline in Britain it's the same everywhere, but far from it. Around the World many more people practise religion and fervantly hold fast to their beliefs than don't.

I don't think the OP means that religion as a whole will go to Mythology, but that the religions that are around now will and be replaced by other religions.

Calling religious people delusional won't hasten the demise of anyone's belief system though.

Actually I think it does, religious types demand "respect" by which they mean craven deference for their particular beliefs for a reason.

The reason being that they know it's much easier to instil and maintain their ideology in people when "faith" is preserved from the criticism other superstitions and ideologies come in for.

By refusing to give a select few supernatural ideologies such undue deference 'new atheists' help create a Zeitgeist in which theists have to work harder to convert & confine people to their cretinous ideologies.

There are lots of good things about religion and it is a big help to some people. I just hope we aren't too far away from the point when the good parts can be disassociated from the rubbish most people can work out is nonsense from an early age.

I also happen to think that the Hindu pantheon will probably weather the storm and carry on for another few millenia. It's very adaptable.

I think having multiple gods is a much better idea, people can pick one they especially like and worship that one, it makes for more interesting myths too.

What makes you think that mankind has always needed spiritualism?

It's just a malfunction of our psyche derived from the ability and need to seek cause when we see affect.

Archived