Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?

Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?

Have just watched the Terry Pratchett documentary about assisted dying. The programme followed a couple of ill men who'd decided they didn't want to prolong their lives any further. Supported by their families they made their final journey to the Dignitas centre. The film ended with one of the men, Peter, dying peacefully with his wife next to him.

I cried for Peter and the family he left behind, but was left with the overall impression that for him it was the right thing to do. The process was quick, appeared painless and death came to him shortly after drinking a cocktail of poison that brought about sleep and then his demise.

Assisted dying is still illegal in the UK, it's been debated here before but views may have changed having watched the film.

One interesting observation which Pratchett noted being an Alzheimer's sufferer, is that it has to be a proactive decision on the part of the ill person, but Alzheimer sufferers might not be in a position to give their consent at the point where they want to shuffle off, so many will be left with making premature decisions whilst they still have the faculty to do so.

What do others think?

I've never heard a strong case AGAINST assisted death/suicide.

I've said before on similar threads, If I was discovered to be keeping a dog in a room, starving, dehydrated, scared and confused, unable to do anything, I would most likely be prosecuted for cruelty to animals.

When it comes to our loved ones though, we are FORCED by law to do this, with those unfortunate enough to meet such an end.

It's the only worth saving for. I look at the health of my dad and I look to the future and know that social care will be either expensive or just awful by the time I'm his age. By then I'll have no family and if I get diagnosed with alzhimers im destined for years of misery. And pratchett has a point. He's been diagnosed with alzhiemers but now won't get dignitas to sign him off even if he wanted to.

The minute my bones creak or memory fades I'm on the plane to Switzerland.

My mother has had a dark life in relation to health. There have been many times she wanted to end it, but it simply hasn't been an option for her here in the UK.

It's a shame AS isn't in effect here; it sure would ease the suffering of an awful lot of people - or at least give them the option if they wanted to choose it.

I find it horrible that there are always opponents to something that often doesn't concern them. Who can say what's right for another?

I've never heard a strong case AGAINST assisted death/suicide.

I've said before on similar threads, If I was discovered to be keeping a dog in a room, starving, dehydrated, scared and confused, unable to do anything, I would most likely be prosecuted for cruelty to animals.

When it comes to our loved ones though, we are FORCED by law to do this, with those unfortunate enough to meet such an end.

I think part of it Roots is society's foundation in the belief of the existence of a higher being. We long been conditioned to believe the outcome of our lives is beyond our control and is in the hands of our maker-it's a hard mindset to shake off.

There are of course compelling reasons to not make it too easy-the encouragement of disinterested/frustrated relatives and the possibility of shortening a life that might still be fruitful and rewarding.

Having said all that with the increasing demands of an ageing population I can see a time in the future when the sick and elderly are offered incentives to exit voluntarily.

My mother has had a dark life in relation to health. There have been many times she wanted to end it, but it simply hasn't been an option for her here in the UK.

Sorry to hear of your Mum's suffering Karis, but just playing Devils Advocate, what would she have missed had she been able to end her life at the first opportunity she might have wanted to do so?

Archived