Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?

Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?

I have too Roots, it was a peaceful way for the person to go on morphine

Yes, often nature has a way to fade us out slowly and peacefully. Unfortunately though, it often doesn't.

Having the choice is not relevant for the former, but the lack of choice is depressingly relevant for the later.

As I type I notice the poll is 60/7 in favour of "yes". This margin is pretty much as I would expect from general conversation with family and friends on the subject.

I'm pleased that we don't live in a society where the majority rule, but when the minority actually dictate that a perfectly moral humane choice, that the majority would like, is not available, then we should question the motivations of that minority imho.

BTW, even in a society where the choice was available, the 7 people who voted "no" will still have the choice for their death to be as drawn out as possible.

I have just watched the programme. Yes it was uncomfortable viewing but it was never supposed to be a walk in the park. It was meant to be thought provoking for all concerned. The dignity of the two men and their fAmiliies astounded me.

It was awful that a young man was in the position Andrew was and as was said in the film horrific for his family to go through too. But what was also said by Andrews mother and Peters wife was that they were there out of love for the men and for their individual choice and right to die.

It must be the worst thing in the world to know your 42 year old son wants to die as he feels he has no dignity in life and, as she said, no quality of life and also the hardest thing for a mother to do, to actually be there when the end came for Andrew but she did do it and she was there because she loved him selflessly and recognized that it was right for her son to go.

Peters wife was similarly minded and it must have been unbearable for her to lose her soulmate of over 40 years yet again she did what was right for her husband the only person that actually mattered at the end of the day.

The end of the program me was the hardest for me to watch not just because you see someone die but more so because you understand that it happened abroad. Anyone finding themselves wanting an assisted death should have the right to that death in their own home. I would still opt out as Andrew put it if I was ever diagnosed with a terminal illness and would travel with someone too and be there for them if they asked. It is my body and my life and no one but me should have the right to decided what happens to it. Look at it this way if someone wants to die they are going to manage it one way or the other and it will never be easy on those left behind but going at Dignitas offers a dignified end with minimized suffering to loved ones (they know the end was peaceful they know the person did not die alone and their body languish undetected for a period of time or have the harrowing experience of being the person finding the body. Having lost an aunt painfully slowly as mentioned before and finding one of my friends hanging dead then the solution the clinic offers has to be on some level more preferable to the scenarios we all know happen. Rest in Peace Andrew and Peter and thank you to them and their families for bringing this to the collective concsiousness.

BTW, even in a society where the choice was available, the 7 people who voted "no" will still have the choice for their death to be as drawn out as possible.

That's what I don't understand, the people who would vote "no" could still choose to stick it out 'til the end, why should it bother them what others choose for themselves? Voting "yes" doesn't mean that you have to choose assisted suicide for yourself.

I have just watched the programme. Yes it was uncomfortable viewing but it was never supposed to be a walk in the park. It was meant to be thought provoking for all concerned. The dignity of the two men and their fAmiliies astounded me.

It was awful that a young man was in the position Andrew was and as was said in the film horrific for his family to go through too. But what was also said by Andrews mother and Peters wife was that they were there out of love for the men and for their individual choice and right to die.

It must be the worst thing in the world to know your 42 year old son wants to die as he feels he has no dignity in life and, as she said, no quality of life and also the hardest thing for a mother to do, to actually be there when the end came for Andrew but she did do it and she was there because she loved him selflessly and recognized that it was right for her son to go.

Peters wife was similarly minded and it must have been unbearable for her to lose her soulmate of over 40 years yet again she did what was right for her husband the only person that actually mattered at the end of the day.

The end of the program me was the hardest for me to watch not just because you see someone die but more so because you understand that it happened abroad. Anyone finding themselves wanting an assisted death should have the right to that death in their own home. I would still opt out as Andrew put it if I was ever diagnosed with a terminal illness and would travel with someone too and be there for them if they asked. It is my body and my life and no one but me should have the right to decided what happens to it. Look at it this way if someone wants to die they are going to manage it one way or the other and it will never be easy on those left behind but going at Dignitas offers a dignified end with minimized suffering to loved ones (they know the end was peaceful they know the person did not die alone and their body languish undetected for a period of time or have the harrowing experience of being the person finding the body. Having lost an aunt painfully slowly as mentioned before and finding one of my friends hanging dead then the solution the clinic offers has to be on some level more preferable to the scenarios we all know happen. Rest in Peace Andrew and Peter and thank you to them and their families for bringing this to the collective concsiousness.

I didn't actually watch the programme,missed it.........

Very well put but as with a lot of things some people just don't get it......

Archived