Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?

Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?

Me and the wife were silent for about a minute after that and we were both in tears at the bravery of Peter and his wife. I can't (and don't want to) imagine the pain and erosion of the will to live that such a cruel disease causes - I'm firmly for people having the right to decide to undergo assisted death.

I just hope when I go it will be with a fraction of the dignity of that man.

I am totally for it after seeing many family members die long drawn out slow deaths,the fact is it's the choice of the individual,and people should respect the decision they have made.....

Iv'e recently been looking into making a living will which i will do hopefully quite soon,i feel really strong about this issue as it's my life and my choice....

The chances are that a lot of people who are against this, have never actually seen anyone suffer or die,maybe then they would think a little differently.........

I’ve never understood why we are able to end the suffering of a loved pet but not a loved family member.

Actually, we are EXPECTED to end the suffering of a loved pet, but FORCED to watch our loved ones suffer. See post #2

I can't (and don't want to) imagine the pain and erosion of the will to live that such a cruel disease causes - I'm firmly for people having the right to decide to undergo assisted death.

That's a good point, both men featured were intelligent, absolutely resolute and calm when they made the decision, it does make you wonder how awful their lives must have become for them to believe ending it was preferable to taking their chances on a natural death.

That's a good point, both men featured were intelligent, absolutely resolute and calm when they made the decision, it does make you wonder how awful their lives must have become for them to believe ending it was preferable to taking their chances on a natural death.

Maybe they had seen for themselves how truly horrific it can be.

EDIT: (by watching a loved one die a horrible drawn out death I meant)

I think there's a distinct difference between assisted dying and assisted suicide. I think the programme touched on the fact that around 20% of those who choose to go to Dignitas are not terminally ill. There have even been some whose conditions were improving (http://tinyurl.com/6hrslgb). This is something I'm fairly uncomfortable with; where do we draw the line between it being an 'end of life' choice and aiding the suicide of someone who is depressed?

When it comes to those who are terminally ill, Dignitas have the process exactly right. The person must be fully capable of consenting and of taking the drugs themselves. To be assisted with either would lead to an ethical minefield. 'Living wills' would not be acceptable if you cannot have any way of determining whether that person may have changed their mind.

It does however leave the question why the UK government will not allow people to make this decision and yet allows doctors to do it for them by withdrawing food and water from patients who cannot swallow for themselves (because they define this as treatment) and leaving them to die a very unpleasant death over a period of days. Patients who are fully conscious but unable to communicate are dying this way on a regular basis, in many cases against their families wishes.

Archived