Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?

Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?

I thought I knew where I stood on this, but after watching Terry Pratchett: Choosing to die tonight I don't know anymore.

Or after seeing Boyfridays thread?

How DID you stand on this anyway? I vote YES without a doubt and would be interested in anyone's argument for a NO vote.

You've got that right, I think it's called the Liverpool directive or something similar. It's cruel. All it's us the Nhs doing the assisted suicide thing but without consent of the family and letting it take days or weeks bur by withholding other medicine reduces the chance of recovery anyway. If they did that to anyone under 60 they'd be in court.

Or after seeing Boyfridays thread?

How DID you stand on this anyway? I vote YES without a doubt and would be interested in anyone's argument for a NO vote.

I've always thaught it should be and I still do. But this programme was quite disturbing to me in some ways. It showed a man dying at the Dignetas clinic. It wasn't at all what I expected it to be like.

What also surprised me was the fact that about 21% of the people that used the clinic didn't have a terminal illness, they wanted to end their lives.

A patient, such as Terry Pratchett, who suffers from alzheimer's, would have to visit the clinic before they lose the power of speach etc. Therefore, ending their life while still of sound mind and body.

It was quite a hard hitting documentry, very thought provoking!

I've always thaught it should be and I still do. But this programme was quite disturbing to me in some ways. It showed a man dying at the Dignetas clinic. It wasn't at all what I expected it to be like.

What also surprised me was the fact that about 21% of the people that used the clinic didn't have a terminal illness, they wanted to end their lives.

A patient, such as Terry Pratchett, who suffers from alzheimer's, would have to visit the clinic before they lose the power of speach etc. Therefore, ending their life while still of sound mind and body.

It was quite a hard hitting documentry, very thought provoking!

Have you ever seen someone dying of starvation and dehydration in a hospice? so incapacitated they can't even blink and have to have their eyes and tongue dabbed with water every few minutes to avoid drying out? By a loved one who has to go along with the suffering and heartbreak until the very end?

Yes, it should be available in the UK. The experiences of the two suicides in last nights documentary would have been much better if they hadn't had to travel to Switzerland to kill themselves.

I thought the setting of the Dignitas death suites in an industrial unit on a Zurich industrial estate was incredibly bleak. You'd want somewhere better than that if you were going to kill yourself, but that was part of the point of the programme, why can't we do this in England?

It seems I'm the only one voted NO so far.

I didn't watch the programme by the way...but have recently watched my wife die of cancer.

She didn't ask for help to die, and I doubt I coud have helped anyway, even if legal.

No...it just seems so wrong to me.

Have you ever seen someone dying of starvation and dehydration in a hospice? so incapacitated they can't even blink and have to have their eyes and tongue dabbed with water every few minutes to avoid drying out? By a loved one who has to go along with the suffering and heartbreak until the very end?

Errr.....no. Why do you ask?? I wasn't comparing one kind of death with another. I just said that the programme was hard hitting and the clinic was nothing like I expected. I would rather someone have a choice when it comes to their end.

im very surprised at the poll tbh..you are talking about euthenasia and people activley helping others to do so,nobody has the right to play god and therefore should not be allowed to do so.just because other countries do so doesnt mean its right for everyone.things like this are always open to wrong doers,and many would flout the law.

Archived