Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?

Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?

I've never heard a strong case AGAINST assisted death/suicide.

I've said before on similar threads, If I was discovered to be keeping a dog in a room, starving, dehydrated, scared and confused, unable to do anything, I would most likely be prosecuted for cruelty to animals.

When it comes to our loved ones though, we are FORCED by law to do this, with those unfortunate enough to meet such an end.

Couldnt agree with you more.

To watch a loved one suffer is one of the worst things in the world....something I hope I never have to see again.

It does however leave the question why the UK government will not allow people to make this decision and yet allows doctors to do it for them by withdrawing food and water from patients who cannot swallow for themselves (because they define this as treatment) and leaving them to die a very unpleasant death over a period of days. Patients who are fully conscious but unable to communicate are dying this way on a regular basis, in many cases against their families wishes.

My Grandma took 10 days to die after having food & fluids withdrawn. It was a horrific experience for all those at her bedside and so far as I could tell for her as well.

Half my family are fundamentalist Christians, more importantly so was she, so assisted suicide was never an option in this case. It's monstrous though that the option of assisted suicide is denied to those who might want to use it to avoid a lingering death filed with suffering.

That the medical profession is prepared to do that but not assist you in ending your life peacefully utterly disgusts me!

You can hardly blame them for not breaking the law & risking prison, being struck off and so forth.

The blame here lies with politicians who haven't the guts to do the right thing and change the damn law.

You can hardly blame them for not breaking the law & risking prison, being struck off and so forth.

The blame here lies with politicians who haven't the guts to do the right thing and change the damn law.

I chose my wording quite carefully there. The medical profession will not get struck off and has the power to pressure the politicians to sort it out. Thats why I did not say "doctors and nurses"!

Who would have thought we all had so much in common with Harold Shipman! Of course you didn't volunteer for his assistance.

I know it is an old argument but you wouldn't let your family pet suffer so why not afford that same luxury to another human. Quite right too. I am sure with strict laws on this it would be workable. I wouldn't want to be kept alive for years to be in constant suffering and I wouldn't want to see my loved ones suffer either. I am sure the law will change in the coming years and this will be the norm.

That link probably wasn't entirely pleasant, I didn't read it as I was just looking for a reference for the case. Whatever the law in Switzerland says, Dignitas flouts it on a regular basis. I'm not anti-assisted dying at all, I just think it's something that needs incredibly careful thought because it's such a complex issue and whatever is laid down in the law is likely to mean some will push the boundaries even further.

Can you show some evidence for this allegation please?

But isn't Hospise a form of assistance for they dying ? also can you imagaine if it were legal how it could get out of control, I just imagine how many assisted "Homicides" there would be :)

In what way do you think a hospice assists death?

How would things get out of control?

That the medical profession is prepared to do that but not assist you in ending your life peacefully utterly disgusts me!

Legally that's all they can do - they can withdraw what would keep you alive but are not allowed to intervene to help you die, Well this is a slightly grey area - terminal cancer patients are frequently put in charge of their own morphine administration for pain control so many (technically) die from a morphine OD rather than the cancer.

It also comes into conflict with the classic version of the Hippocratic oath which states "I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody if asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art." though whether this oath is still taken by a doctor at graduation I'm not sure,

Archived