Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?

Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?

i know it sounds really bizarre but when he was aking for a drink of water and she said you dont need a drink and all those noises he was making, it sounded like he was in pain, and yes i know if you have a serious illness and your in pain etc, but i just put me off all i kept thinking was he died thirsty!!!.

i know it sounds really bizarre but when he was aking for a drink of water and she said you dont need a drink and all those noises he was making, it sounded like he was in pain, and yes i know if you have a serious illness and your in pain etc, but i just put me off all i kept thinking was he died thirsty!!!.
So the idea that you die put you off?! You're right, that is bizarre.

I know what you mean though. When you see it up close and personal the finality hits you.

Example......Locked in syndrome........

Unable to do anything for yourself at all,feed/drink/toilet/talk/wash yourself

NO QUALITY OF LIFE AT ALL.....

The way you can communicate is to blink your eyes......

How can anyone deem that as a way to live,it must be the most lonely and cruel way to be....

Will the law ever get changed i doubt it very much..............

Just to spin the thread in a slightly different direction.

Its interesting that the main point discussed on this thread is the morality of suicide rather than the ethics of suicide being a 'crime'. Where do people stand on the idea that your body is your own. It doesn't belong to the state and the state doesn't have the right to tell you what to do with it so long as you aren't harming other people with it. Why is suicide illegal for want of a better word?

Just to spin the thread in a slightly different direction.

Its interesting that the main point discussed on this thread is the morality of suicide rather than the ethics of suicide being a 'crime'. Where do people stand on the idea that your body is your own. It doesn't belong to the state and the state doesn't have the right to tell you what to do with it so long as you aren't harming other people with it. Why is suicide illegal for want of a better word?

Suicide has been decriminalised. It is assisting someone else to take their own life that remains a crime, for fairly obvious reasons.

Suicide has been decriminalised. It is assisting someone else to take their own life that remains a crime, for fairly obvious reasons.
My lack of knowledge withstanding! The principle remains the same.

If someone can take a psychological test and make their wish known that they are unable to physically take their own life but wish to end their life should the person who assists be criminalised?

As thirsty as those who linger on the edge of death for over a week after having their food & fluid feeds turned off?

Because that's what we do to people now, doctors aren't allowed to actively put people out of their misery when keeping them alive is doing more harm than good. Instead passively causing patients to die of thirst is the best option doctors have.

My lack of knowledge withstanding! The principle remains the same.

If someone can take a psychological test and make their wish known that they are unable to physically take their own life but wish to end their life should the person who assists be criminalised?

And therein lies the problem - however resolute someone is when they sign that piece of paper, they have the capacity to change their mind. They may well change their mind after they lose the physical capacity to tell someone or make their feelings known.

And what are those "obvious reasons"?

Why is it "obvious" that it should be a crime to help someone end a life that is nothing but suffering, suffering that they desperately want to end but are incapable of ending by themselves?

Example......Locked in syndrome........

Unable to do anything for yourself at all,feed/drink/toilet/talk/wash yourself

NO QUALITY OF LIFE AT ALL.....

The way you can communicate is to blink your eyes......

How can anyone deem that as a way to live,it must be the most lonely and cruel way to be....

Will the law ever get changed i doubt it very much..............

The thing is a euthanasia clinic will not let you end your life if you arrive in the condition thst you are describing above. You must be able to walk, talk, be of reasonable sound mind etc. Therefore, you have to kind of pre mpt the end of your life, check out early, if you know what I mean.

It was strange seeing a man talking and laughing with his wife one minute then, not 2 minutes later he was gasping for breath, asking for water. Whether you are for or against assisted death, it was shocking to watch!

Archived