Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?

Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Should assisted suicide be made legal in the UK?

And what are those "obvious reasons"?

Why is it "obvious" that it should be a crime to help someone end a life that is nothing but suffering, suffering that they desperately want to end but are incapable of ending by themselves?

Because the potential for abuse of the relaxation of this type of law is massive.

Instead passively causing patients to die of thirst is the best option doctors have.

Really? Do yoy know this for a fact??

Also, are patients who are this sick (on the edge of dyeing) not usually unconscious?

Really? Do yoy know this for a fact??

Also, are patients who are this sick (on the edge of dyeing) not usually unconscious?

I have been directly aware of a number of cases where patients, in both cases stroke patients, who were not unconscious but could not 'communicate' were subjected to this withdrawal of treatment so I have to back up plekhanov on that one. None were anywhere near dying but were deemed to not be in a position to make a 'meaningful' recovery.

Can you show some evidence for this allegation please?

In what way do you think a hospice assists death?

How would things get out of control?

Going onto Hospise care, all medications gets stopped in most cases, also if it were legal for anyone to do it, someone that wishes someone dead could just say they requested help to die .:suspect:

I have been directly aware of a number of cases where patients, in both cases stroke patients, who were not unconscious but could not 'communicate' were subjected to this withdrawal of treatment so I have to back up plekhanov on that one. None were anywhere near dying but were deemed to not be in a position to make a 'meaningful' recovery.

Isn't this just turning off someones life support though?

If they wasn't anywhere near dying, why did they die of thirst? I don't understand. What state were these people in?

Whatever the law in Switzerland says, Dignitas flouts it on a regular basis.

Can you show some evidence for this allegation please?

A man with arthritis and no terminal condition: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12959664

Dignitas boss on his definition of who can use the facility: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10481309

Article on specific medical conditions of Britons who used Dignitas: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/jun/21/dignitas-suicide-clinic-britons

Non-terminally ill husband died with his wife at Dignitas:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/5823704/Conductor-Sir-Edward-Downes-and-wife-end-lives-at-Dignitas-clinic.html

There are plenty more examples out there.

Thanks for the effort, but I meant evidence that shows Dignitas FLOUTING THE LAW. You appear to have misunderstood the law on assisted suicide in Switzerland.

"In Switzerland, assisted suicide falls under Article 115 of the Swiss penal code. As such it is a crime if and only if the motive is selfish" -from this source.

Thanks for the effort, but I meant evidence that shows Dignitas FLOUTING THE LAW. You appear to have misunderstood the law on assisted suicide in Switzerland.

"In Switzerland, assisted suicide falls under Article 115 of the Swiss penal code. As such it is a crime if and only if the motive is selfish" -from this source.

I was originally writing in response to a poster who stated that voluntary euthanasia in Switzerland was only legal in cases of terminal illness.

Going onto Hospise care, all medications gets stopped in most cases, also if it were legal for anyone to do it, someone that wishes someone dead could just say they requested help to die .:suspect:

That's not assisting death, it's withdrawing medication/nutrition. This is what leads to a lengthy and horrific death. I've witnessed it first hand.

Isn't this just turning off someones life support though?

If they wasn't anywhere near dying, why did they die of thirst? I don't understand. What state were these people in?

I think I covered this in an earlier post - they are patients who are unable to swallow so have tube feeding and IV fluids withdrawn.

Archived