Question for any current/ex coal miners

My dad, uncles and granparents were all miners.

As far as I know coal production was pretty even throughout the year. Coal was stockpiled in the summer months to meet increased demand in winter - especially by the coal fired power stations and before North Sea gas, for making town gas.

So production was pretty stable whilst demand fluctuated?

As far as I know. Don't forget for a lot of face workers, certainly in the 60's, take home pay was often tied to production.

And before central heating was widespread, even in summer the only way to get hot water for a lot of folk was to light a fire. My gran used to cook in the range all year round, make her own bread etc.

My dad, uncles and granparents were all miners.

As far as I know coal production was pretty even throughout the year. Coal was stockpiled in the summer months to meet increased demand in winter - especially by the coal fired power stations and before North Sea gas, for making town gas.

isnt coal for power stations and coke ovens (where town gas came from) different to house coal? the demand for them would probably have been the same all year round but was it the same for house coal ?

Archived