Yorkshire Water, Did they rip me off?

This is a genuine question and I just wondered what your thoughts were.

I moved into my house back in 2003. From that date I paid YW around £39.50 per month. This gradually creeped up to £53 per month when I finally decided to look into it. This was Feb/March 2009. I asked around my neighbours and found they were all paying different amounts with the cheapest being those on meters. So I phoned Yorkshire Water and asked them to install a meter. They sent someone around and this person decided that a meter couldn't be fitted in my property and they'd be in touch. Anyway, long story short, because there was only me and my small child living here they agreed that I should be on 'single person occupancy' rate which cut my bills from £53 per month down to £18 per month. MASSIVE difference of £35 per month. Over 6 years that amounts to £2520. Now that's alot of money.

Today I got thinking about this because of something someone said to me and thought i'd look into it. Phoned Yorkshire Water, explained the above and the fact that I thought I had overpaid for a very long time to be met with reams and reams of scripted jargon. I got words thrown at me such as statute and legislation but when I asked for a detailed explanation in writing I was given the number of OffWat. So what do you think? Should I persue this? Do you think i'll get my money back? Has anyone else been through the same thing?

Thanks for reading :love::love::love:

This is a genuine question and I just wondered what your thoughts were.

I moved into my house back in 2003. From that date I paid YW around £39.50 per month. This gradually creeped up to £53 per month when I finally decided to look into it. This was Feb/March 2009. I asked around my neighbours and found they were all paying different amounts with the cheapest being those on meters. So I phoned Yorkshire Water and asked them to install a meter. They sent someone around and this person decided that a meter couldn't be fitted in my property and they'd be in touch. Anyway, long story short, because there was only me and my small child living here they agreed that I should be on 'single person occupancy' rate which cut my bills from £53 per month down to £18 per month. MASSIVE difference of £35 per month. Over 6 years that amounts to £2520. Now that's alot of money.

Today I got thinking about this because of something someone said to me and thought i'd look into it. Phoned Yorkshire Water, explained the above and the fact that I thought I had overpaid for a very long time to be met with reams and reams of scripted jargon. I got words thrown at me such as statute and legislation but when I asked for a detailed explanation in writing I was given the number of OffWat. So what do you think? Should I persue this? Do you think i'll get my money back? Has anyone else been through the same thing?

Thanks for reading :love::love::love:

The water meter fits on the rising main pipe, you must have one in order to receive water, where are they coming from? :confused:

Apologies for not being more clear. I enquired to YW as to whether I could claim back the rates I had overpaid over 6 years and they weren't very straight with me. Tried to confuse me with big words but then didn't have an answer when I questioned her.

They couldn't fit a water meter because of where the main pipe is, that isn't the issue though. I'm perfectly happy with the price I pay now.

[/QOUTE]They couldn't fit a water meter because of where the main pipe is, that isn't the issue though. I'm perfectly happy with the price I pay now.

A water meter will easily fit under the sink, I had one fitted 3 years ago and I pay £9 a month. May be worth looking into as it will halve what you're paying now. As for the other matter, request a statement (you may be able to get one online) and if you get no joy, get in touch with OFFWAT, that's what they're there for. Make sure you have all your bills and all the paperwork you can get

Archived