Dansette Record Player

I had a Dansette my dad bought it me in 1972 and was my first record player though it was pretty old then.

I can still smell it now it had an aroma to it and kept slipping disks if you put more than 3 singles on the centre pin, I went stereo in 1974 with a fergusson.

Did you have a Dansette Record Player when you was a teen in the 60's ?

Did you buy 45rpm records of your favourite groups like:

Billy J Kramer

Dave Clarke Five

The Hollies

The animals

The kinks to name just a few.

Yes. Ours (brother and sister had to share it) was grey with a red lid, it had a smell all of its' own. My mother bought it in the 60's from my uncle's furniture shop "Norton's House Furnishers" on Ecclesall Road. It came with a "free record" called "Hey Paul" by Paul & Paula.

The first record I bought was January 1961 Johnny Tillotson "Poetry a Tree in Motion", my father complained that he was sick to death of listening to that bloke singing "abaht a bloody tree in motion". I then bought the Drifters "Save the Last Dance for Me" and many Elvis 45's.

I remember turning the needle over from 45 to 33 and 1/3 (LP), one side was green and the other red. The damn thing always slipped if you put 3 records on together, ususally when you were in a rush to get ready to go out Saturday night!

Got mine around 1967 from my older cousin who had it for years.

Blue and White - and yes, that unique aroma when you opened the lid - what was that?

First record I will own up to buying with my own money and playing on it was Whiter Shade of Pale by Procul Harem. Bought from Woolies on the Moor. Several other 45's followed as pocket money would allow - all 'Top of the Pops' stuff. Several Beatles LP's followed but they were mainly Birthday and xmas gifts ( dear old Mum going into Bradleys records and asking for Sgt Pepper was always a vision that will stay with me - but the old dear a few years later went in and was asking for Tarkus by Emerson Lake and Palmer -:) )

then in 1969 I went to a party and heard for the first time "When a Man loves a Woman" by Percy Sledge.

this was from a sampler album called 'This is Soul" and every track was an absolute gem - and introduced me to soul music. Tracks from Wilson Pickett, Aretha Franklin, Otis Reading... incredible It was sold, even then, at the ridiculous price of 12/6d. - and it became the first 'LP' that I ever bought with my own money, earned from the work I did at the local butchers, delivering meat orders around the area on my bike - seem to remember I got 4 bob a week for that

I literally wore that almum out. I had the Dansette for many years but during the early 70's and now working I bought a 'music centre' from Wiggies, which had a record player, tape deck and radio all in one unit, and so the poor old Dansette was confined to the attic. Forgot what happened to it, but that machine, as old as it was, was my lifeline in my bedroom during my mid-teens.

Yep - we had one; it looked like this.

Now all together folks - ".One, two, three o'clock, four o'clock rock, ..five, six, seven o'clock...."

Sowing my age....:blush:

Thanks hillsbro, I'd forgotten how cool they looked.

Incidentally, are you "sowing" your age or "showing" it, is there a difference?

Archived