Dansette Record Player

My sister's Dansette had a long mains lead (15 feet or so) and on the end, instead of a three pin plug, it had a bayonet, so that it could be plugged into the light socket of the next bedroom.

"Bobby's Girl", "The Young Ones" and "Rock with the Cavemen" all take me back there..

I had a Dansette in the 50's, my first electric record player; before that it was a wind-up gramaphone. When I joined the RAF in 1959, it was passed on to my sister. I have moved on a bit now and play my music on Bang and Olufsen or on my Ipod.

Mike

You will be very pleased to know that your sister still has it in the loft along with a load of records and a spool to spool Grundig tape recorder. :D

I had a Dansette in the 50's, my first electric record player; before that it was a wind-up gramaphone. When I joined the RAF in 1959, it was passed on to my sister. I have moved on a bit now and play my music on Bang and Olufsen or on my Ipod.

Mike

I'm trying to move on to as I have an Ipod but cannot transfer music from my laptop to it,,, I have the least musical habited Ipod in the world,, wish I still had my Dansette.

I had a Dansette which was grey with a padded lid. I guess this would have been about 1963/4. My uncle had a second hand shop on London Road and my grandma took me there and bought it for me - do you remember that shop cuz?

No, because I didn't even know our uncle had a shop :huh: when I was 15 I started saving for a record player out of my spending money. Anyway after about 6 mths Dad felt sorry for me and put the rest to and bought me one. How come Grandma bought you one :suspect: was you her favourite?:cry:

You will be very pleased to know that your sister still has it in the loft along with a load of records and a spool to spool Grundig tape recorder. :D

I still have a working unit, and about 400 7" singles. My garage is stuck in 1968 :|

I still have a working unit, and about 400 7" singles. My garage is stuck in 1968 :|

Sounds just like our loft.:D As for storing records they are all in boxes stood on their sides and date back to 1959 some may even be older!!

• 2 months later...

I am the proud owner of a Dansette Severn which has been professionally restored and is in as new condition. It is two-tone green and was manufactured in May 1966. Although not played that often it is a joy to hear well preserved 33, 45 and 78 rpm records as they sounded in the 60's.

Archived