Dansette Record Player

I had a Dansette Major Deluxe for my birthday in the early sixties, it was red and cream, I loved it......however my 2 toddlers ruined it several years later !!

BUT - I bought the exact same model on ebay a few years ago, it works perfectly and I still have my old 45s from the 60s and 70s.....brill :)

Does anyone know how much a Dansette cost in 1960?

Duffems

Mine cost fourteen pounds in 1962 but it wasn't the same model as pictured in Hillsbro's post No.8. It was grey with a blue lid and had an arm that came across to hold the loaded records in place. First record to be played on it was Green Onions by Booker T and the MGs (dozens of times).

• 2 months later...

:love::love:

i've always kepts my old LPs stacked on top of each other flat, then i read where there suppose to be stood on there sides, how do you store your oldies, my old LPs are all Frank Sinatras :love:

Does anyone remember a radio, it was about 18x20" across the top and stood on the floor about 36" high with a slight sloping top, with a circulur dial about about 9," with 6 operating knobs across the bottom, there was about a hundred or more stations on the dial, it had a beautiful tone and was supposed to be the ultimate in its day, with its cross veneered case, its name was RGD it was a piece of furniture on its own, and at that time 1934 it cost around 100 quid[ thats what dad said]:hihi: Cheers Arfer Mo . PS note the measurements of the day.

Does anyone remember a radio, it was about 18x20" across the top and stood on the floor about 36" high with a slight sloping top with a circulur dial about about 9" with 6 operating knobs across the bottom there was about a hundred or more stations on the dial it had a beautiful tone and was supposed to be the ultimate in its day, with its cross veneered case, its name was RGD it was a piece of furniture on its own, and at that time 1934 it cost around 100 quid[ thats what dad said]:hihi: Cheers Arfer Mo ps note the measurements of the day

hi Arfer we had an RGD radio-stereogram in the 60s and the sound it produced was unbelieveable,and in my view even better sound than the Bose-wave of today,we also had a dansette in the late fiftys and every morning before going to school we would play Living Doll by Cliff Richard over and over again,it drove mum and dad crazy.

Hey Gadget man, I bought my first 45 when I was 16 and that too was Living Doll by Cliff Richard. Thing is I hadn't even started saving for my record player at that time. :hihi: When I finally got my player I used to carry it to the Ebenezer Methodist church on Barnsley Rd, to their youth club on a Tuesday night. I carried it right from where I lived at the time, Milnrow Rd. and that thing weren't

half heavy!

:love::love:

Does anyone remember a radio, it was about 18x20" across the top and stood on the floor about 36" high with a slight sloping top, with a circulur dial about about 9," with 6 operating knobs across the bottom, there was about a hundred or more stations on the dial, it had a beautiful tone and was supposed to be the ultimate in its day, with its cross veneered case, its name was RGD it was a piece of furniture on its own, and at that time 1934 it cost around 100 quid[ thats what dad said]:hihi: Cheers Arfer Mo . PS note the measurements of the day.

See if you can find it on here.

I remember the Dansette,and some friends tried to stack the LPS,as well as the singles.Did it have some place in the lid where singlescould be stored.We moved on to a garrard deck with a teleton Amp and some EMI speakers bought from a shop in London.The Exchange and Mart was a favourite read with loads od tempting products such as air rifles,catapults and various knives.

I had a red and cream dansette, with a big round dial on the front (I Seem to remember that was the radio)

It looked like this, but without the legs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=150701840729

my best mate and I would be up in my attic bedroom, making up dances to the tunes on my 45s, pretending we were Pan's People. lol (OK, NOW I'm showing my age!)

Archived