Most common driving mistake

I genuinely don't know if it is me who is wrong on this as it happens so often. The problem occurs when you are on a normal 2 way street and there is a car parked on the other side of the road. There is just enough room for 1 car to pull round the parked car before you get there. More often than not if there are 3 cars coming in the other direction they will all pull round the car on to the wrong side of the road and you will have to stop to avoid them. I would say more people than not will do this as it happens so often.

I admit it is difficult to see if there is room for you to safely overtake the parked car if you are following another car but that doesn't mean you just go anyway, surely? I would say at least 75% of people do this. If you are the second car in a line that needs to pass a stationary car you often find the driver of the car behind will get agitated if you don't automatically follow. Surely the correct thing to do is hang back so you can see if there is enough room for you to go as well?

Basically yes you should hang back. I've seen a couple of crashes occur where the lead driver that has to cross teh road does so (in perfect safety) and then the car coming the other way suddenly is faced with the second or third car and they collide head on. The car that has crossed the white lines invariably will be held to blame for it.

It is your right of way. If they are driving the wrong way down a two way road then you can take a punt on the legality.

Personally I carry on, make them stop and then shake my fist angrily. If that doesn't work I follow them, flash them to stop and then beat them with a tyre iron. Or if I'm feeling particularly vindictive I follow them home, make a note of their address and re-visit them with fire.

It is your right of way. If they are driving the wrong way down a two way road then you can take a punt on the legality.

Personally I carry on, make them stop and then shake my fist angrily. If that doesn't work I follow them, flash them to stop and then beat them with a tyre iron. Or if I'm feeling particularly vindictive I follow them home, make a note of their address and re-visit them with fire.

Your reaction to them seems a little harsh but I can see your point, I mean how else will they learn? :D

Some have the sheep mentality and will follow regardless

That is part of it I think. I also think some people can't see that they are doing anything wrong or they automatically assume if there is room for 1 car there must be room for theirs too. When they are following a car it is almost like that has triggered them to think it must be ok for me to go to.

Your reaction to me seems a little namby pamby. In future you must try harder otherwise these sorts of people will never learn.

jb

That is part of it I think. I also think some people can't see that they are doing anything wrong or they automatically assume if there is room for 1 car there must be room for theirs too. When they are following a car it is almost like that has triggered them to think it must be ok for me to go to.

What's the problem with waiting for a few cars to pass? I do approx 40,000 miles a year and have learned to "go with the flow"..it's no good getting het up about small things.. :)

some have the sheep mentality and will follow regardless

what's the problem with waiting for a few cars to pass? I do approx 40,000 miles a year and have learned to "go with the flow"..it's no good getting het up about small things.. :)

qed........

Archived