Most common driving mistake

I do approx 40,000 miles a year and have learned to "go with the flow"..it's no good getting het up about small things.. :)

I've also noticed this. I used to be part of the mob in lane two or three of the M56 accelerating and braking all the journey, but now sit in lane 1 with the vans and other drivers doing a steady 60mph all the way and I still meet the cars in the other lanes at my junction!

What's the problem with waiting for a few cars to pass? I do approx 40,000 miles a year and have learned to "go with the flow"..it's no good getting het up about small things.. :)

I don't have a massive issue with it, just didn't want to have missed the memo telling everyone it was ok to follow cars in this situation! I wait for the road to be clear and don't just follow the car in front when I have to pass a car but this seems to annoy people behind me at times.

The part that annoyed me a little is that people seem to think they are in the right. If someone is an idiot and know they are in idiot I will let them got on with it. If someone is an idiot and thinks they are in the right it is annoying and also a danger to other road users.

I was taught that if the parked car is on your side of the road, you are the one to stop and only go ahead when the road to clear.

Yep that's what the HC says but in the real world it's no good getting hot and bothered 'cos someones dares to be in the wrong place...more important stuff to be concerned about..

Lack of observation and anticipation is the most common mistake drivers make.

Driving as the OP describes would be covered by this - there is no problem following through if you can see you can fit. There is if you can't see, or won't fit.

It also covers, I suspect, about 90% of all accidents.

I used to be part of the mob in lane two or three of the M56 accelerating and braking all the journey, but now sit in lane 1 with the vans and other drivers doing a steady 60mph all the way and I still meet the cars in the other lanes at my junction!
...and there is the perfect antidote to what is IMHO the "most common driving mistake": drivers not respecting safety intervals (tailgating or close to, "diving in" as soon as there's about a car length and other such practices).

In dense traffic, it makes for an automatic accordion effect when the 'front' car slows down (and the last few in the queue generally end up needing to drop anchors).

I've been trained to brake as little as often whenever and wherever I drive, particularly on motorways (braking on the motorway to adjust your speed is a cardinal sin/garanteed fail during your test in France). Shame that's not the way it appears to be taught over here.

EDIT +1 at Number Six' post above (just seen it now), echoes perfectly what I'm on about.

I'll put the behaviour of non-confident drivers a close second to that. Is it just me, or does there seem to be more and more of them, struggling to break the 40 mph barrier on A-roads and to match M'way traffic speed when joining M-ways on sliproads these days? :huh:

I've been trained to brake as little as often whenever and wherever I drive, particularly on motorways (braking on the motorway to adjust your speed is a cardinal sin/garanteed fail during your test in France). Shame that's not the way it appears to be taught over here.

We do no motorway training over here....

Will you clarify..? I think I'm saying the opposite to what you think..If there's a few cars coming the other way past a parked vehicle I generally let them do it.. no big deal..

I read it the opposite to what you thought was the opposite.

Sorted now..:)

Archived