Most common driving mistake

...and there is the perfect antidote to what is IMHO the "most common driving mistake": drivers not respecting safety intervals (tailgating or close to, "diving in" as soon as there's about a car length and other such practices).

In dense traffic, it makes for an automatic accordion effect when the 'front' car slows down (and the last few in the queue generally end up needing to drop anchors).

I've been trained to brake as little as often whenever and wherever I drive, particularly on motorways (braking on the motorway to adjust your speed is a cardinal sin/garanteed fail during your test in France). Shame that's not the way it appears to be taught over here.

You would think common sense would be enough to tell people to drive like that but seemingly not. Unless their is stationary traffic you shouldn't have to brake on a motorway at all. I drive mostly on motorways and my last set of brake pads lasted 90,000 miles and still had a bit of life left in them. I don't know if that is the norm but the garage that changed them suggested not.

I see people doing bad things when driving every day.

Parked cars on your side of the road mean you have to let on-coming traffic pass. Even overtaking buses, which is a long vehicle. if you tried that on your driving test, the chances are you would be failed.

Any people turning right, do not have right of way.

Confusion at crossroads, where the American rule of first there has right of way seems to take over.

Which is fine in America, not so much fun over here.

After that they take it in turns to go, workes very well.

I was taught that if the parked car is on your side of the road, you are the one to stop and only go ahead when the road to clear.

Sounds right to me.

Although if I am going downhill and the obstruction is on my side, I do tend to let the uphill vehicles come through. This stems from my truck driving days I suppose.

Regards

Angel.

It still amazes me how many downhill drivers don't do this.
to the point where you'd be forgiven for thinking it's downhill drivers that have priority if you just watched what goes on

There are times when it's sensible to follow the lead car round an obstruction - namely when the queue behind you is going to get stuck if the person who ACTUALLY has priority is going to have to stop in the only maneuvering space (as often seems to happen outside schools at certain times of day)

Archived