Car insurance and driving offences

Some companies say 3 years, they come off you license after 3 years (if you pay for a new one) so I am not sure how they would be able to tell.

They are valid for 3, you have to wait another year to have them taken off.

All insurance companies I have known ask about convictions in the last 5 years. I have never quite figured out, if you have no record of points on your license, how they would be able to prove that you have had a conviction in the last 5 years.

if you have no record of points on your license, how they would be able to prove that you have had a conviction in the last 5 years.

The DVLA have a record, and if you have an accident which may result in your insurers having to weigh out a serious sum of money, the first thing that they will do is check out everything on your proposal form. Wasn't there a case recently when someone was refused a claim because the drop down occupation menu didn't have their exact job so they clicked the nearest thing to it as there was no 'other' box.

John X

My car insurance went up slightly last month, never had any points ect, they told me good drivers have to pay for the bad drivers :mad:

Isn’t that the same with any type of insurance.

Yes but we're paying for the unisured like everything else.

Does your state/your insurance company offer 'uninsured motorist' cover? The company we insure with does and in the event that you get run into by an uninsured motorist (and it's not your fault) the UIM coverage pays for the damage and your premiums don't rise.

Some companies (particularly mutually-owned insurers, which have members rather than customers) decline to insure high-risk drivers at all (and in some cases, they extend that classification to 'people aged under 50')

Does your state/your insurance company offer 'uninsured motorist' cover? The company we insure with does and in the event that you get run into by an uninsured motorist (and it's not your fault) the UIM coverage pays for the damage and your premiums don't rise.

Insurance is a numbers game ………….. they can batch groups of people together but the “good” drivers within that group are still subsidising the “bad” drivers within that group.

As for the uninsured drivers part ……… that risk factor will have been considered and reflected in your premiums, in fact wouldn’t you be covered if you had a protected bonus?

Archived