Is it legal to shoot a fox?

If you're a farmer, you can shoot dogs on your property if they're worrying your livestock (so this neighbour would (presumably) have legally been able to shoot next door's dog if it was in his garden), but cats... that's an interesting one... I think that's regarded as cruelty, although in law nobody owns a cat, so an 'owner' should in theory have no recourse

So nobody is really going to do anything if I shoot an animal on my property.I guess I need a rabbit though. It needs livestock to worry.

So nobody is really going to do anything if I shoot an animal on my property.I guess I need a rabbit though. It needs livestock to worry.
You'd probably need to be breeding your rabbits as food for that to work :rolleyes:

The hunting and killing them for fun is illegal, but killing them for pest control is not.

No, the hunting them with hounds is illegal. It's still perfectly legal to ride to hunt with a pair of hounds to flush a fox towards the hunters waiting with guns.

quoting Tony Erikson! [Does this mean I can shoot a dog or cat if they were to enter my property. I consider them vermin? Where do we draw the line with what we can and can't shoot? ]

If you want to go killing cats you might want to remember the following:-

Feral cats

The domestic cat and feral cat are one and the same animal - Felis catus. The family pet is classed as the personal property of its owner and any unjustified control may lead to prosecution. Although the cat's owner cannot be held liable for its actions, they could sue for damages should their cat come to any harm or go missing.

Feral cats are prolfic killers of nesting birds. If it can be shown that they have bred or are living in the wild then they may be humanely despatched.

cited from http://www.basc.org.uk

Archived