New school leaving age

Does anyone know if the age for leaving school is still going up in 2013? It was reported back in 2007 that it will be compulsary for kids to stay on in school or college until the age of 18. This was under labour so not sure if this still stands and not heard anything else about it since. Thanks.

Perhaps rather than having a school-leaving age, there should be a (set of) school-leaving standard(s)? (Standards which have to be met before a child progresses to the next stage/class.)

I suppose we would get used to seeing 15 year-olds in primary school for a while - but there would certainly be an incentive for them to achieve the required standards.

Perhaps rather than having a school-leaving age, there should be a (set of) school-leaving standard(s)? (Standards which have to be met before a child progresses to the next stage/class.)

I suppose we would get used to seeing 15 year-olds in primary school for a while - but there would certainly be an incentive for them to achieve the required standards.

I agree, that would be a better idea!!

i know that when i was at school that the thought of being held back and therefore split up from all of my friends would have been terrifying and would have made me work harder.

This.

I went to a school where children were held back and at the lower levels no one ever teased them - we were jealous cause we thought they knew all the answers already as they had done it once before! When we got older (14 and on) is where theyd get teased because at that age, you could repeat a class if you failed it and still moved on. If you failed 3 or more major subjects and didnt have attendance, then were left back. Though, you could still have the option to move on - if you repeated the classes during summer school, but at a cost to your parents as summer school wasnt free.

It shocks me that you cant leave a child back because of the 'stigma' attached to it. Surely, not being able to read properly when leaving or do maths and being constantly frustrated is much more worse?

I'd still be at school now at 31 if this happened :(

:hihi:

Archived