Public Sector Strikes

Private sector pay is already at rock bottom for most workers, both me and the other half can vouch for that

ohh I wish that were true... but with the national minimum wage not keeping up with inflation, and all the other Tory attacks on the poorest, I can think of no reason for your optimism... it hasn't been true over the course of the last year.... and there is no reason to believe it will be over the remainder of their term in office.

Private sector pay & rewards above minimum wage is on average higher than in the public sector and the pay differential is increasing.

There is, of course, an obvious solution. Withdraw your labour - permanently.

Become self-employed, pay yourself as much as you like and tender for the work you used to do as a wage slave. If your services are in demand, your customers will have to pay the rates you charge.

If not, you're in the wrong job. At that price, anyway.

It's a bit of a no win really, they should think themselves lucky they have jobs with pretty decent wages in the current climate. the pay freeze will be lifted eventually. The ones that arent in union will get shafted as they will have loads to do, their union workmates will abuse them for not striking but they will get disciplined if they do

So if the strike goes ahead will it bring the nation to it's knees?

Will it force the coalition government to call a general election?

Will it force the Lib Dems to break the coalition, thus forcing the Conservatives to call a general election?

Will the folk in the private sector, who their counterparts in the public sector expect to work until they drop, sympathise with their demands?

I think not on all counts, perhaps the government could declare the 30th of June a public holiday, so the private sector dross can also have a day off work. :rolleyes:

So if the strike goes ahead will it bring the nation to it's knees?

Will it force the coalition government to call a general election?

Will it force the Lib Dems to break the coalition, thus forcing the Conservatives to call a general election?

Will the folk in the private sector, who their counterparts in the public sector expect to work until they drop, sympathise with their demands?

I think not on all counts, perhaps the government could declare the 30th of June a public holiday, so the private sector dross can also have a day off work. :rolleyes:

nice one crookesey.....we have more important things to worry about....like getting hotels booked for our visit to preston on new years eve....and spending the new year in blackpool.....nice little earner that one...

That is because it is a gross oversimplification of reality into slogan form for the consumption of the feeble minded.

Try doing business in a country where there is no public roadbuilding, harbours, protection from bandits etc. (all functions of the public sector) and see how much scope there is for the 'private sector' to thrive.

It never seemed to hurt the Hudson Bay company - and they are still trading after all...:-)

It all reminds me of the British Airways strikes. The company is loosing money hand over fist and the staff go on strike because the company is trying to keep afloat. The result of all the strikes is sensible people no longer fly with BA and ulitimately many of the strikers will loose their jobs as the airline goes into terminal decline.

The public sector strikes will merely add to the non afordability of the services and result in more outsourcing or the simple decision that we can no longer afford some services at all.

I await strikes further down the line as departments close.

Remember the miners strike? How many miners still have jobs today after coal became too unreliable a fuel source.

Public sector working need to remove their heads from their backsides and start living in the real world.

As for the unions im not sure there actions are going to be in the best intrests of the people they represent and more a case of just trying to stick it the government.

very funny point today tho was the director of the CBI being interviewed on BBC1 as they are always very vocal about cutting private sector pay and pensions. HE wanted the govt to go further than they have said. when questioned tho he did admit he is in the CBIs own generous final salary scheme and that wasnt going to be ammended! lol

you couldnt make it up. the govt , mps and judiciary will retain their own superb pension scheme, as will all the euro mps!

Archived