Public Sector Strikes

Everyone who is unhappy with their works pay or conditions as a right to quit their job and find a better job. But it should be illegal to blackmail your employed by refusing to work unless the employer as a right to terminate your employment for refusing to work.

and on that footing you will still see children going up chimneys and under cotton looms...dont sound right does it..?

And who is going to work for a crummy employer that did that?
Anybody else who wants to.

If the employer is as 'crummy' as you make out, that leads to a high staff turnover, that in turn leads into dissatisfied customers, and that in turns lead to business failure.

I would rather take the business from them or die.
It's not your to take. And certainly not if and when you have decided to quit. Different kettle of fish when the employer is acting abusively and breaches his side of the contract, of course ;) But there's a gulf between that situation and an employee just being unhappy with his lot.

Under no circumstances would I let them get away with that kind of rubbish.
There are Courts for that. Generally speaking, they do a good job of it.

It's not a 'rogue government'. It may well be a government of which you do not approve, but -like it or not - the coalition (between the lot of them) gained the support of more than 50% of those who voted.

If you (or any union, or group of unions) attempts to bring down that government, you are trying to deny the majority of the British voters the right to elect a government.

You might find a lot of people are against you. Some of them will have very long memories.

And now they must surely feel cheated, i dont think the 50% expected to get stuffed...

So you think an employer has the right to push people around?

No and I wouldn't work for one that did, and when the employer can't find anyone to fill its vacancies it will have to change its ways.

It is illegal for the employer to blackmail and bully its employees yet the employees are able to blackmail and bully the employer.

And who is going to work for a crummy employer that did that? I would rather take the business from them or die. Under no circumstances would I let them get away with that kind of rubbish.

Nobody is forcing you to work for such an employer.

You can withdraw your labour. - Permanently. You can even set up on your own and poach his customers from him. - After all, the employer is crap and you can provide a far better service at a lower cost.

Any you can pay yourself as much as you want!

So you think an employer has the right to push people around?

No and I wouldn't work for one that did, and when the employer can't find anyone to fill its vacancies it will have to change its ways.

It is illegal for the employer to blackmail and bully its employees yet the employees are able to blackmail and bully the employer.

The employers should have no more rights than the employees. But no fewer rights, either.

Public sector workers need to be confronted about their self-interest in a climate of job cuts and redundancies.

Unemployed people don't have pensions to worry about and can't strike. They are powerless unlike the employed people who want our sympathy so that depleting resources can save them from contributing more than they had expected.

MONEY FOR JOBS NOT PENSIONS

Public sector workers need to be confronted about their self-interest in a climate of job cuts and redundancies.

Surely you mean Striking public sector workers. I've yet to meet one who supports the forthcoming strikes and will be taking action. Most of us know the state of the economy, the fragility of job security, and are willing to accept the measures needed.

Are there any public sector workers on here who disagree with me?

Surely you mean Striking public sector workers. I've yet to meet one who supports the forthcoming strikes and will be taking action. Most of us know the state of the economy, the fragility of job security, and are willing to accept the measures needed.

Are there any public sector workers on here who disagree with me?

which is presumably why vince made his "threat" about striking, the union for my work (which I am not a member of) went on strike with a vote of around 51% for and 49% against when membership of the union was only 30%!!!! Why is that allowed!

Did the non-unionised 70% of the workers also go on strike?

Or did they attend work and manage to run the organisation (albeit, perhaps, on a very reduced scale?)

AFAIK, far from all public sector employees will be on strike tomorrow - just those who are members of the striking unions.

Nobody is forcing you to work for such an employer.

You can withdraw your labour. - Permanently. You can even set up on your own and poach his customers from him. - After all, the employer is crap and you can provide a far better service at a lower cost.

It's not as simple as that. A lot of employees may be service tied to the company and that's when the employer might try and abuse the employee, maybe to make them leave on their own accord and without severance pay, because it might be a tidy sum. Trying to prove that is difficult though, which is why any employee worth their salt would collect examples of working practices/abuse throughtout their employment.

Archived