Public Sector Strikes

Did the non-unionised 70% of the workers also go on strike?

Or did they attend work and manage to run the organisation (albeit, perhaps, on a very reduced scale?)

AFAIK, far from all public sector employees will be on strike tomorrow - just those who are members of the striking unions.

we weren't allowed to go on strike but then of course none of us would want to otherwise we would be union members

which is presumably why vince made his "threat" about striking, the union for my work (which I am not a member of) went on strike with a vote of around 51% for and 49% against when membership of the union was only 30%!!!! Why is that allowed!

If you're not a member of the union, did you not continue to turn up for work?

I'm starting a small job hangin 3 doors on a customers house for £20 per door, he is a teacher who is home for 4.15pm every day. I know this cos he lives on my road. I might take his doors off then go on strike, sack myself and leave him in the do do. He bangs on how tough it is being a teacher, yet we watched him landscape his garden over the 4 mts he was of work with depression on full pay, he then went back to work for a mth and was off on his paid summer 6 wk hols. Is it me or has this guy got his bread buttered both sides with jam. Ive no bloody bread to butter at mo.

Two words "REAL WORLD PAL" Sorry thats three. :roll:

I'm starting a small job hangin 3 doors on a customers house for £20 per door, he is a teacher who is home for 4.15pm every day.........blah...blah...blah...blah

There's a whiff of the green eyed monster about you.

There's a whiff of the green eyed monster about you.

Not at all, just one rule for one and one for the other. Now if I start the job and strike in protest at been ground down to such a low rate of pay?

Are you a teacher or married to one? are you all right jack.

<...>He bangs on how tough it is being a teacher, yet we watched him landscape his garden over the 4 mts he was of work with depression on full pay, he then went back to work for a mth and was off on his paid summer 6 wk hols.<...>
There's a few like that on the ('posh') estate I live on.

Mostly public service mid- to senior-level management, though, not teachers (I think). There's a headmistress, if that counts - but she must be coining it some other way, as I doubt even a headmistress can afford a brand new top-spec Range Rover every year or so :D

Neighbour's senior NHS admin management, was off on depression for 6 months (on full pay), just gone back in part-time.

It's not really the green eye thing (materially speaking), more the fact that their employment conditions/systems appear much more readily/easily abused. The thing that really grates, is that the abuse is eventually on my tax dollar, not their employer's bottom line (who may otherwise be justified into taking an "appropriate decision" much earlier on).

So why complain that the members of the union voted to strike with a majority vote of their membership?

Because they clearly had no reason to strike being as the clear majority of employees were happy.

Its not really a majority 49:51 is it, that doesnt hold in an election. That would be a good striking law to introduce a win by over 5% of the membership or something!

There's a few like that on the ('posh') estate I live on.

Mostly public service mid- to senior-level management, though, not teachers (I think). There's a headmistress, if that counts - but she must be coining it some other way, as I doubt even a headmistress can afford a brand new top-spec Range Rover every year or so :D

Neighbour's senior NHS admin management, was off on depression for 6 months (on full pay), just gone back in part-time.

I'm due to start a kitchen for a public sector manager. The job is a 1.5 wks work fitting a kitchen for £500. Now to save money he is taken the kitchen out himself, If i let him do that then I go on strike due to me havin a poor state pension and him screwing me down to the lowest possible price, and leave him with no kitchen then he might know what it feels like to be in the real world.

Archived