Public Sector Strikes

There's a few like that on the ('posh') estate I live on.

Mostly public service mid- to senior-level management, though, not teachers (I think). There's a headmistress, if that counts - but she must be coining it some other way, as I doubt even a headmistress can afford a brand new top-spec Range Rover every year or so :D

Neighbour's senior NHS admin management, was off on depression for 6 months (on full pay), just gone back in part-time.

It's not really the green eye thing (materially speaking), more the fact that their employment conditions/systems appear much more readily/easily abused. The thing that really grates, is that the abuse is eventually on my tax dollar, not their employer's bottom line (who may otherwise be justified into taking an "appropriate decision" much earlier on).

the evidence you have cited indicates poor working conditions such that it is damaging to the workers health

the forum tories seem to be out in force today. maybe if you weren't so relentlessly nasty to workers trying to make a living you wouldn't come across so mean

I'm due to start a kitchen for a public sector manager. The job is a 1.5 wks work fitting a kitchen for £500. Now to save money he is taken the kitchen out himself, If i let him do that then I go on strike due to me havin a poor state pension and him screwing me down to the lowest possible price, and leave him with no kitchen then he might know what it feels like to be in the real world.

Not sure i follow your analogy,

You're employed to do a job, you strike because of your state pension (nothing to do with your employer) and the payment for the job (which you agreed to take)?

I'm due to start a kitchen for a public sector manager. The job is a 1.5 wks work fitting a kitchen for £500. Now to save money he is taken the kitchen out himself, If i let him do that then I go on strike due to me havin a poor state pension and him screwing me down to the lowest possible price, and leave him with no kitchen then he might know what it feels like to be in the real world.

Or he could let you do the job for the agreed price and in the agreed time. Then when you're done decide to pay you less. It would be a better comparison to the teachers dispute. I doubt your in favour of that though are you?

The skill of this government has been setting people against each other. Thatcher did the same. Instead of resenting others that have a decent standard of living that was agreed at the time they took a job you should be asking how you will be assited getting the same rather than wishing everyone was back in the 1800s doffing their cap to the mill owners.

I don't understand your scenarios. Is he actually on strike or do you know that he works in the public sector and you're assuming he's striking?

I'm a public sector manager and I'm not in a striking union, nor will be striking. Business as usual for me.

The media aren't any help with their scaremongering headlines about schools closed and teachers on strike when in reality its a small minority in a minority rabble rousing union.

Or he could let you do the job for the agreed price and in the agreed time. Then when you're done decide to pay you less. It would be a better comparison to the teachers dispute. I doubt your in favour of that though are you?

The skill of this government has been setting people against each other. Thatcher did the same. Instead of resenting others that have a decent standard of living that was agreed at the time they took a job you should be asking how you will be assited getting the same rather than wishing everyone was back in the 1800s doffing their cap to the mill owners.

No i'm just going to let him take his kitchen out and say Ive had a better job offer, which I have. He screwed me down to that price cos he new I had no work. He will have to boil a kettle and live on takeaways. I'm sick of workin for less that £50 a day for doing the skilled job I do. Screw em.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I fit kitchens to the best standard, he won't get his kitchen fitted to my standard at the rate he wants to pay.

bloody hell mate, you must really have an insight what with hanging doors and fitting kitchens for some civil servants. More than I could know what with me being one. And before you start I have worked in the "real world" in fact I served my apprenticeship as a joiner and have worked out of the civil service longer than in it.

If you are taking 1.5 weeks to fit a kitchen you have undercharged for your time too, just like hanging doors for £20 a pop, that is unless you are supplementing your income by doing these jobs.

Anyway if your knowledge of pensions, pay and conditions of the public sector workers comes from you taking a **** in their house while you work, your opinion isn't worth too much.

Also your picture scares me. You come across as being mildly bonkers too Riche but this place would be duller without you. Keep on ranting.

No i'm just going to let him take his kitchen out and say Ive had a better job offer, which I have. He screwed me down to that price cos he new I had no work. He will have to boil a kettle and live on takeaways. I'm sick of workin for less that £50 a day doing the skilled job I do. Screw em.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I fit kitchens to the best standard, he won't get his kitchen fitted to my standard at the rate he wants to pay.

So basically you are withdrawing your labour despite entering into a contract you agreed to. Bit of a nerve then, having a go at teachers doing the same when they are having changes made they didn't agree to.

You whole argument is sort of falling apart isn't it.

If you don't want to do the job - don't do it. Let him find somebody else to do it.

He might find a firm like the firm which fitted my kitchen. It took 3 people one (long) day - not 1.5 weeks.

(It's not a small kitchen - cabinets and work surfaces on 3 walls, lighting and all appliances. If the fitters had told me it was going to take 1.5 weeks to fit, they wouldn't have got the job.)

the evidence you have cited indicates poor working conditions such that it is damaging to the workers health
Evidently. Odd that they don't quit and try their hand at another career or with another employer, though, don't you think?

FWIW, the NHS neighbour was depressed due to issues with a couple of her subordinates. The Peter's Principle in full and, in the Real World™, managers unable to cope (read: sort the situation out, by removing the cause of disruption with relevant legal/contractual HR procedures) are demoted or replaced. Not put out to pasture for 6 months on full pay.

But hey and all that, they're good neighbours and company, and I don't hold it (that much :D) against them.

the forum tories seem to be out in force today. maybe if you weren't so relentlessly nasty to workers trying to make a living you wouldn't come across so mean
I do not consider myself a tory. I'm French and, stereotypically enough (as immortalised in a De Gaulle speech a few decades ago), I have "my heart to the left and my wallet to the right" ;)

But feel free to badge me to your heart's content: mean, tory, or even a combination thereof :D

No i'm just going to let him take his kitchen out and say Ive had a better job offer, which I have. He screwed me down to that price cos he new I had no work. He will have to boil a kettle and live on takeaways. I'm sick of workin for less that £50 a day doing the skilled job I do. Screw em.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

So what has that got to do with pensions and public sector strikes?

Archived