Public Sector Strikes

I've not had ANY pay rise in 5 years. The only pension I have is one funded by myself. I know plenty of others in the private sector in the same boat. If everyone at my company decided to strike we would be replaced as soon as possible.

So because you have a bad deal then everyone else should?

A race to the bottom helps no one.

If everyone in your company joined a union you'd probably have better conditions that you do.

If everyone in your company joined a union you'd probably have better conditions that you do.

The company would become uncompetitive and Cynic would be looking for a new job.

Because their costs would increase, and when costs increase the price of the products they produce increases.

Why would their costs increase, apart from the fact that costs increase anyway?

Why would their costs increase, apart from the fact that costs increase anyway?

Originally Posted by Cynic View Post

I've not had ANY pay rise in 5 years. The only pension I have is one funded by myself. I know plenty of others in the private sector in the same boat. If everyone at my company decided to strike we would be replaced as soon as possible.

Originally Posted by FullBean View Post

They wouldn't increase because the company wouldn’t be able to afford to increase them even if all the employees joined and union and went on strike as FullBean suggests, but if the company did give in to union demands and increased wages, provided a better pension and generally improved Cynics conditions its costs would increase which would make it less competitive.

Of course!

Paying people a fair wage and decent pension can only be a bad thing can't it?

That's the the thing, in all my life I've never known any union make unreasonable demands; in fact most of the battles are just to keep things they way they are.

Of course!

Paying people a fair wage and decent pension can only be a bad thing can't it?

It can be in a global market; private companies have to compete for business with companies from all over the world.

They wouldn't increase because the company wouldn’t be able to afford to increase them even if all the employees joined and union and went on strike as FullBean suggests, but if the company did give in to union demands and increased wages, provided a better pension and generally improved Cynics conditions its costs would increase which would make it less competitive.

Unions are not asking for increases wages and better pensions.

Archived