Public Sector Strikes

Unions are not asking for increases wages and better pensions.

They would be in the situation that FullBean suggested and that I am responding to.

It might help if you read the posts before responding.

They would be in the situation that FullBean suggested and that I am responding to.

It might help if you read the posts before responding.

You're just making wild assumptions and arguing for the sake of it.

If you don't like living here amongst hard working folk who stand up for each others rights then I suggest you eff off back to Russia or whichever country you love that doesn't respect the democratic rights of union members to withhold their labour.

Democracy is a tricky thing isn't it?

I think he said he lives in Toytown anyway!:loopy:

I remember someone asking public sector workers. If you're so badly done to why all the kerfuffle whenever privatisation is mentioned?

Exactly. Having your cake and eating it springs to mind.

Yes it's bad that the terms of employment are being changed to the detriment of public sector workers, but can't they see that the country is in debt and needs to cut spending? Everyone else is having to pay for it (except, it would seem, the politicians) - private sector job losses/cuts/wage freezes; increased tuition fees for students etc. It's OK saying 'the bankers caused it so why should teachers pay for it' like a teacher who emailed the BBC (about 15 minutes ago) was claiming, but that argument could be used by anyone.

I recognise arguments on both sides of this coin and if I was a public sector worker I'd certainly be a bit peeved right now. But the strikes aren't the way forward. You need public sympathy for successful industrial action. It would seem that most people will be inconvenienced by these strikes more than anything else. Not a good way to get the public on side. A lot of people are going through difficult times and it seems the (small percentage) of members of trade unions want to sulk and have a day off work rather than grim and bear it like everyone else.

I also cannot understand how only a minority (10% did they say?) of the unions going on strike actually back the strike. Surely this is not fair on the public sector workers who aren't going on strike but are going to get a bad name because of it. If this is the case then I actually agree with 'Dr Cable' for once that trade union law needs reform. I think that before a strike can go ahead at least 50% of the membership should be voting in favour. Any less is unrepresentative of the majority's feelings.

If you don't like living here amongst hard working folk who stand up for each others rights then I suggest you eff off back to Russia or whichever country you love that doesn't respect the democratic rights of union members to withhold their labour.

Democracy is a tricky thing isn't it?

:hihi:

Well said!

I remember someone asking public sector workers. If you're so badly done to why all the kerfuffle whenever privatisation is mentioned?

Because privatisation would probably mean mass redundancies and having a job is better than having no job at all.

Archived