Public Sector Strikes

Yeah, because service is so much better under the privatised rail, bus, water, electricity, gas companies etc

Just imagine the kick-off if HMRC was run in order to make profits for shareholders and directors. The papers would be full of nothing but stories about nasty taxmen making profits out of peoples' misery, kicking down doors and taking property, sending menacing letters and charging premium rates for telephone calls................oh, hang on, that already happens :suspect:

In theory a public sector organisation should always be able to provide a better service as they don't have to worry about a profit, just providing the best service for the lowest cost.

It depends. The history of privatisation is that once privatised terms and conditions of employment get worse... cleaners, security guards etc... But, on the other hand if you look at public sector pay verses comparators in the private sector what you see is public sector workers being paid less despite having more qualifications.

The main argument for the strike is that inflation is up, public sector workers are suffering pay freezes. The private sector average pay settlements are around 4%... that is building on a pre-existing pay gap which should concern everyone because it devalues public sector work, devalues the employees and results in poorer decisions and worse services.

The main argument against privatisation is that it is undemocratic, it removes politicians from being accountable for the decisions they make and the way they are implemented. I have given the example before, but you used to be able to write to your MP about what was going on in the NHS and ask them to intervene, now all you get back is the response that it is a primary health care trust... I am not accountable for what they do you should take it up with them directly. Every privatisation is a transfer of power away from us.

Guest sibon

the fact of the matter is: right now the public sector costs X, the projected cost of pension obligations in years to come is Y, the private sector must generate sufficient added value from which to generate sufficient tax income to pay for it all, and currently it's not doing anywhere near that, nor is it likely to anytime soon.

So...costs must be reduced. Simple maths.

That all depends upon the relative value of x and y.

My pension scheme more than pays for itself currently. It also has provision for an increase in contributions if that ever ceases to be the case. The Government are attempting to slash it all the same and have refused to carry out a statutory valuation of the scheme. Presumably because they already know what it will reveal.

The Government are being less than honest in their presentation of the problems, which undoubtedly exist. They've lumped all of the non-contributory schemes in with the contributory ones to exagerate the issue.

After all, I can't imagine that simply slashing the pensions of the Armed Forces would be much of a vote winner:suspect:

I pay a hefty whack into my pension fund (which the present junta are looking at raiding I might add) and am looking at having my retirement age, which was agreed at my appointment, hiked by 5 years.

I've got it really cushy :|

I think you will find that private pension funds have been raided every year for the past 14 years to the tune of around £5,000,000,000 per year and are already retiring around 5 years later than you anyhow. This is why most folks in the private sector probably won't be that impressed with your case.

I think you will find that private pension funds have been raided every year for the past 14 years to the tune of around £5,000,000,000 per year and are already retiring around 5 years later than you anyhow. This is why most folks in the private sector probably won't be that impressed with your case.

Seconded. It's fountains and drains really. I"ll leave you all to guess which sector is the fountain and which is the drain.

Maybe you should join public sector worker's and call for similar action then, because Osborne's decision last year to change private sector as well as public sector pension linking from RPI to CPI cost everyone with pensions somewhere in the region of £200 billion.

Maybe you should join public sector worker's and call for similar action then, because Osborne's decision last year to change private sector as well as public sector pension linking from RPI to CPI cost everyone with pensions somewhere in the region of £200 billion.

I think he later back-tracked on linking private pensions to CPI, another u-turn!

Archived