Public Sector Strikes

Guest sibon
So does that mean the gov. Don't have accurate figures or are not willing to share it?

They stopped the actuaries in mid calculation. They don't want to know the true value. Numbers can be distracting when you are trying to whip up a frenzy.

There was someone on Radio 4 this morning shouting the praises of the public sector. I wasn't taking much interest until I heard this, "There are many low paid public sector workers, earning as little as £16K p/a".

When I took early retirement last year (six weeks prior to my 63rd birthday), I recall that all of our female senior clerks were on less than £16K p/a. They appeared to be pleased with their lot and didn't class them selves as being low paid. I wager that there are quite a few folk on this forun who would love to be paid as little as £16K p/a.

It appeared to be a shot in the foot to me, none of the the private sector on less than £16K p/a are likely to show much sympathy for the better paid public sector workers.

Do you have a link to that?

http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/hc1011/hc02/0257/0257.pdf

Teachers’ Pension Scheme

(England and Wales)

Resource Accounts

2009-10

The Teachers' Pension Scheme (TPS) is an unfunded, contributory, public service occupational pension scheme.

The scheme is wholly unfunded.

Value of liability in respect of £ billion

Pensions in payment 105.1

Deferred pensions 19.8

Active members (past service) 99.0

Defined benefit obligation 223.9

My interpretation of this is that there is no pot of money to pay future benefits, all benefits are paid from taxation. I could well be wrong,

you are correct, unfortunately most people are taken in by brash headlines and the idiot mps spouting guff. heard the same quote this week from a minister. there is no pot, its therefore impossible to correlate it to 500k needing paying in.

at the end of the day all public sector pensions will need adjustment, ie more payments in and a gradual increase in retirement age. it should be done fairly, in agreement with unions, and managed. making people strike by imposing threats is not the way a democracy works.

interesting also to see that no mention yet of how mps pensions will be changed.:)

i also dont agree that the fire service police and army should be based on a 55yr old retirement age with full benefits. they work no harder than a nurse, porter, council worker or other public sector employee. the army have for many years got by with little or no risk whatsoever, and if we were not embroiled in pointless wars at great cost would have no risk right now.

saying all the above, a contract is a contract and the govt should honour them and stand by the agreed terms and conditions and change things by negotiation only.

the private sector should be forced into joining govt backed schemes of pensions also, far too many do not pay a penny to any pension scheme and have no intention of doing anything other than rely on the tax payer to fund them by benefits in retirement on state handouts. they are happy to spend their money with no pension provision whatsoever.

and at the top of the tree are the capitalists taking their tax pay out of the uk by all means available to them, dodging billions in tax over a lifetime. capture that and put it into a state backed pension fund for private sector.

So does that mean the gov. Don't have accurate figures or are not willing to share it?

almost certainly both points. making it impossible for anyone to fairly say what increases need to be made and what the retirement age needs to go up to.

We weren't balloted for action today but I was pleased to see a good turnout in the city. I think that although pensions are the stated reason for the action it's a lot more complex than that. I can see the need for reform as we are going to live longer, but despite what the right wing media would like I just can't forget that the bankers added hugely to our public financial deficit and they have got away with it scot free. They took huge risks due to their greed, it all went wrong, we bailed them out and nothing has changed for them. If they had been sorted out I might be less inclined to strike, but since the rich are just laughing at us and expect us to continue to bail them out I'm feeling rather stubborn.

Plus this is starting to feel like a defining moment in this country - if the Tories roll the union movement over now I think we can kiss goodbye to any even half-decent public services and ultimately any meaningful rights at work. We know that the Tories would love to get rid of the minimum wage, would love to reduce paid holiday rights, are already weakening rights to go to employment tribunals and generally want us working harder for longer for less so that their rich friends can get richer. That, after all, is what the Conservative Party is for. As far as I can see the only barrier to them getting their wish is the trade union movement. I am well up for a fight with this government now, so bring it on!

Do you mind putting some links up with regards to the bits in bold :)

Archived