Public Sector Strikes

Accepting your argument, DVP84, what is ahte appropriate payscale for a soldier? (Bearing in mind the 'occupational hazards'?)

Appropiate payscale for a Soldier, Mmmm i have know idea. Current market forces say just under £14k for a entry level soldier if stevie.g's figure is correct.

Do i think at 14K they are underpaid, quite possibly.

Is it easier to become a Soldier than a Dr, Teacher, Fireman, Policeman, Paramedic ?

‎...

New Entrant Soldiers get £13,895 to walk around with 30kg of kit in 50'C heat with a good chance of becoming a double or even a triple amputee or killed! and NO chance to STRIKE !! So Be Thankful For What YOU"VE GOT !!! AND STOP YOUR Whinging!!

Are you a soldier? - I'm retired military (Royal Air Force.)

It's a job we do and we chose to do it.

We didn't join the forces for the money - and most of us are aware that we were likely to be treated shabbily.

"It's tommy this and tommy that" - Nothing's changed.

Were we able (or inclined) to evaluate in depth why we joined the service, then although the surface reasons might've varied, I suspect that the uderlying reasons - The 'core reasons' might include the following:

* Some sort of belief that as members of society we might be expected to pay something back. (Obviously doesn't apply to those who are 'only here for the beer.' - Those who think society owes them a living.

*Some sort of belief that the society in which we live is worth having."

Fortunately, there are still people who think that way.

We didn't join the forces for the money - and most of us are aware that we were likely to be treated shabbily.

Were we able (or inclined) to evaluate in depth why we joined the service, then although the surface reasons might've varied, I suspect that the uderlying reasons - The 'core reasons' might include the following:

* Some sort of belief that as members of society we might be expected to pay something back. (Obviously doesn't apply to those who are 'only here for the beer.' - Those who think society owes them a living.

Are you saying (my bold) is different for the civillian public service then?

I thought there was a very strong correlation between areas of high forces recruitment and high unemployment, in which case one of the main 'core reasons' would be the lack of available work elsewhere. That might explain how the MoD gets away with paying such crap wages and then tries to wash its hands of its responsibilities to damaged personnel and leave it to people like Combat Stress to pick up the pieces. Slightly off-topic.

‎Trainee Teachers pay £21,588

Where did that figure come from? IIRC there are two routes to teaching - the PGCE and GTP.

I'm not sure how much the grants make up for the PGCE but for the GTP its less than £16,000, and the PGCE is usually less than that.

Where did that figure come from? IIRC there are two routes to teaching - the PGCE and GTP.

I'm not sure how much the grants make up for the PGCE but for the GTP its less than £16,000, and the PGCE is usually less than that.

I assume they mean an NQT, not someone doing a course of training that they have to pay for.

I work in the private sector. I contribute to a stakeholder type of pension which my employer does too. It isn't a final salary scheme. There are no long term pay deals. For the last 3 years I've had below inflation pay rises. I'm not on strike, neither are my colleagues.

Bugger all, 50, 62.

You should have taken advice if that's all you're getting for 17 years contributions.

What was your salary, how much did you pay in each month?

I paid very little, and it ended 32 years ago, I recall that I was on circa £4K p/a. I Section 32'd it with Norwich Union (AVIVA), correctly surmising that I had more chance of longevity than the company. The scheme was contracted out, so the transfer plan had to allow for the Guaranteed Minimum Pension and 50% widows benefits, albeit without escalation in payment. The maximum growth escalation of 8.50% p/a was used, the transfer value in 1989 was £1797, the current fund value is £6700, no bonuses have been added for years because of the GMP, these contracts had to be of the old style traditional with profits type.

Now by all means, please explain where I went wrong.

I noticed two things during last nights news on the strikes. The first being children of around 10 being interviewed about the rights and wrongs of adjustments being made to their teachers final salary pensions. I recall that when I was 10, I also was an expert on pensions. :loopy:

Secondly were the well selected benefit claiming mingers, well they are never going to pay anything into anyone's pension, including one for themselves. So wasn't it a surprise that they were 100% behind their multitude of kids teacher's pensions not being altered? :rolleyes:

Archived