Public Sector Strikes

I work in the private sector. I contribute to a stakeholder type of pension which my employer does too. It isn't a final salary scheme. There are no long term pay deals. For the last 3 years I've had below inflation pay rises. I'm not on strike, neither are my colleagues.

Well, go on strike then, just because you are happy to put up with it, don't moan at people who arnt..

Well, go on strike then, just because you are happy to put up with it, don't moan at people who arnt..

I accept that it is beyond being affordable even to private sector employers (final salary schemes), even less so for the public sector.

So what did the strike achieve?

Has the magic pot of money that the government needs to find to pay all these public sector pensions suddenly appeared out of nowhere?

When has strike action achieved something within 24 hours of it taking place? I don't think anyone expected the government to capitulate straight away. It is part of a long term strategy and not a quick knee jerk reaction.

When has strike action achieved something within 24 hours of it taking place? I don't think anyone expected the government to capitulate straight away. It is part of a long term strategy and not a quick knee jerk reaction.

Striking in the middle of negotiations isn't a knee jerk reaction then?

Well said that man...

They will be another famous u turn when they have had a few more months..or they will come out with that one again.."we are listening to the people" ...

Has the magic pot of money that the government needs to find to pay all these public sector pensions suddenly appeared out of nowhere?

As industrial action escalates it will take it's toll on the govts morale and op ratings, hopefully bringing an end to the coalition sooner rather than later.

Have you read the Hutton report?

Striking in the middle of negotiations isn't a knee jerk reaction then?

The government imposed a 3 year pay deal(pay freeze for 50% of staff) in the middle of pay negotiations. Is that a knee jerk reaction. Knee Jerk implies a quick and ill considered reaction. This was ballotted and that process takes a while so no it is not a knee jerk reaction

Archived