Public Sector Strikes

It seems fair that the people who benefit from it should fill the gap.

And this already happens in a number of big public sector pension schemes. There are some public sector pension schemes that rightly should be changed (these are usually the ones the government chooses as examples) but then there are others that already agreed to make changes several years ago to ensure those schemes are affordable including agreeing that employees, not employers, should pay for any increased cost in the future.

The problem is that the present government seems to be imposing their pension changes across the board regardless of whether those schemes, such as the NHS pension scheme, have already been changed.

I've not had ANY pay rise in 5 years. The only pension I have is one funded by myself. I know plenty of others in the private sector in the same boat. If everyone at my company decided to strike we would be replaced as soon as possible.

You're lucky my pay as dropped and I can't afford to pay into a pension so I look like working until I die.:o

The reason that line is going up is because of the planned redundancies in the public sector.... which increases pension costs... you look at the graph going up to 2030 and you see public sector pension costs going down.

Just imagine how many public sector redundancies would be needed if the previous government hadn't employed an extra half million public sector workers.

It depends. The history of privatisation is that once privatised terms and conditions of employment get worse... cleaners, security guards etc... But, on the other hand if you look at public sector pay verses comparators in the private sector what you see is public sector workers being paid less despite having more qualifications.

The main argument for the strike is that inflation is up, public sector workers are suffering pay freezes. The private sector average pay settlements are around 4%... that is building on a pre-existing pay gap which should concern everyone because it devalues public sector work, devalues the employees and results in poorer decisions and worse services.

The main argument against privatisation is that it is undemocratic, it removes politicians from being accountable for the decisions they make and the way they are implemented. I have given the example before, but you used to be able to write to your MP about what was going on in the NHS and ask them to intervene, now all you get back is the response that it is a primary health care trust... I am not accountable for what they do you should take it up with them directly. Every privatisation is a transfer of power away from us.

So you are saying then when a public sector organisation becomes a private organisation, pay and working conditions get worse which would suggest that when it was a public sector organisation they were being paid too much.

My daughter works in the public sector and is paid more with less qualifications that my son who works in the private sector, he also says the staff in admin at his works are paid around £3000 a year less than my daughter.

Though not a public sector worker myself, I support the strike as I would support anything which helps to undermine and destabilise the coalition.

so what will happen on the 30th of june...will the boozers be closed...the bookies....no racing...no supermarkets...no take aways...no public transport...

no....the teachers will be on a jolly...kids will get a day off...the trains/tube may not run....job centres might be closed...but there are no jobs...and the prison officers may strike....just lock all the cons in their cells for the day...then everyone is back to work friday....big deal...

So you are saying then when a public sector organisation becomes a private organisation, pay and working conditions get worse which would suggest that when it was a public sector organisation they were being paid too much.

My daughter works in the public sector and is paid more with less qualifications that my son who works in the private sector, he also says the staff in admin at his works are paid around £3000 a year less than my daughter.

It doesn't suggest that to me. To me it looks like when a private company takes over, in order to pay shareholders, or in Southern Cross's case, fund a debt and pay private landlords, they have to cut costs to the bone, reduce wages and reduce the level of service so as to give money to shareholders and directors and various spiv private equity companies.

Southern Cross is a great example. Loads of individuals and private equity firms made millions out of it...but now they can hardly keep a roof above the heads of the most vulnerable people in society.

Still, I'm sure there are some people who've made a packet out of it.

That all depends upon the relative value of x and y.
Agreed, however...

My pension scheme more than pays for itself currently. It also has provision for an increase in contributions if that ever ceases to be the case.
...I very much doubt this situation (all fair that it is to you and the taxpayers) is the rule, whereby the current issue (which, as you acknowledge, simply has to be tackled).

When you consider the public sector funding 'issues' in places like, say, Greece and Ireland, not forgetting France (that timebomb has yet to go off, and it'll be a loud one), thank God the Gvt is making a start.

Might not be going the best way about it, but it really a case of inaction is worse than any action.

It doesn't suggest that to me. To me it looks like when a private company takes over, in order to pay shareholders, or in Southern Cross's case, fund a debt and pay private landlords, they have to cut costs to the bone, reduce wages and reduce the level of service so as to give money to shareholders and directors and various spiv private equity companies.

Southern Cross is a great example. Loads of individuals and private equity firms made millions out of it...but now they can hardly keep a roof above the heads of the most vulnerable people in society.

So we agree then workers in the private sector are paid less than those in the public sector that do the same job.

Southern Cross is a terrible example. Come on taxman, you can do better than that, you are mixing up all your arguments just like wildcat does.

You sound as though you don't like all those taxpayers that keep you in work and bagles.

Archived