Public Sector Strikes

I'm public sector and haven't seen a payrise above 0.5% in the last 6 years. I pay a hefty whack into my pension fund (which the present junta are looking at raiding I might add) and am looking at having my retirement age, which was agreed at my appointment, hiked by 5 years.

I've got it really cushy :|

Well step into the real world!.........I have been self employed for most of my life,saved for my pension,only to have taken a 50% drop in pension income due to the artificially held low interest rates available over the past 2 years or more.There is nothing I can do at the present time as I realize the UK has lived beyond it's means for years and the problems are going to worsen in the next few years.My advice is to stop moaning and take it on the chin like millions will have to do.Only fools believe the cuts are not valid, but not in my backyard is the mantra for many!

Well step into the real world!.........I have been self employed for most of my life,saved for my pension,only to have taken a 50% drop in pension income due to the artificially held low interest rates available over the past 2 years or more.There is nothing I can do at the present time as I realize the UK has lived beyond it's means for years and the problems are going to worsen in the next few years.My advice is to stop moaning and take it on the chin like millions will have to do.Only fools believe the cuts are not valid, but not in my backyard is the mantra for many!

But you are happy at the bankers, the PFI merchants, the private equity firms, the hedge funds, the speculators and spivs walking off with millions stuffed in their back pockets?

Why should someone lose their job because of people like them?

You complain about interest rates...home owners would say to you "welcome to the real world" as they can probably remember interest rates of 15 % in the 80's.

Why does everyone seem to want the lowest common denominator......"that bloke over there scrabbling in the muck only makes 3p an hour, why can't everyone work for that?"

We CAN afford to care for the elderly

We CAN afford decent public services

We CAN afford decent wages to teachers, nurses, police etc

We CAN afford investment into industry and construction

We CAN afford decent hospitals and schools

We just have to prioritise, it's a choice Government has to make.

Maybe you should join public sector worker's and call for similar action then, because Osborne's decision last year to change private sector as well as public sector pension linking from RPI to CPI cost everyone with pensions somewhere in the region of £200 billion.

Maybe you should join the real world and work out who it is that pays all the bills for these things. It is all very well for the non productive side of our economy to moan about having to pay into their pension funds and work beyond the age of 60. We have a £1,200,000,000,000 debt in this country that is increasing at £2000,000,000 each week. You cannot keep living in your ivory tower trying to pretend that the money won't run out. It already has because the last government spent it all.

Just imagine how many public sector redundancies would be needed if the previous government hadn't employed an extra half million public sector workers.

Many of those were on short term contracts that have not been renewed. No redundancy at the end.

Maybe you should join the real world and work out who it is that pays all the bills for these things. It is all very well for the non productive side of our economy to moan about having to pay into their pension funds and work beyond the age of 60. We have a £1,200,000,000,000 debt in this country that is increasing at £2000,000,000 each week. You cannot keep living in your ivory tower trying to pretend that the money won't run out. It already has because the last government spent it all.

Non-productive? What exactly do you mean by that?

Oh let the crybabies get on with their strikes....

....Sit back and watch as the management get increasingly ticked off with all this union bullying and whinging....

.......Watch the crying begin when realise their jobs start getting outsorurced to the private sector where people actually DO the jobs without constant strikes and union threats.

SOME of them might then wake up and get into the real world of a recession.

I've not had ANY pay rise in 5 years. The only pension I have is one funded by myself. I know plenty of others in the private sector in the same boat. If everyone at my company decided to strike we would be replaced as soon as possible.

And that's your choice, not theirs. Contracts are now worth sweet FA. People may as well not bother with them these days, let's just do everything on a handshake.

Many of those were on short term contracts that have not been renewed. No redundancy at the end.

Indeed. Government should be seen to be an exemplar employer rather than skulking in the shadows of employment law for political gain. The way that the previous lot used short term contracts is nothing short of a scandal.

....Sit back and watch as the management get increasingly ticked off with all this union bullying and whinging....

.......Watch the crying begin when realise their jobs start getting outsorurced to the private sector where people actually DO the jobs without constant strikes and union threats.

Strange that just trying to defend the status quo, to tread water and see contracts honoured becomes bullying. Your agenda led mind is plain to see. If the union members were on top salaries and just wanted more then you may be right. You do realise this is Sheffield Forum and not Tunbridge Wells Forum?

Guest sibon

I somehow doubt that my "Management" will be trying to outsource me. They will be manning the barricades too.

Archived