So what's a town centre then?

So far as the official meanings go, you've answered your own question. Any urban area that falls inside a city council is a suburb of the city (unless it's the city centre itself, of course) and not a town in its own right. Any urban area outside of a city council is a town, or a village, or a hamlet.

In practical terms, I don't know of anyone who would deny that Stocksbridge is a town. It's not connected to Sheffield in the slightest. Officially, though, that's irrelevant; once the city boundary swallowed up Stocksbridge, it became a suburb. Killamarsh falls in north-east Derbyshire district council and is therefore not a suburb of anywhere; it's a village - even though, in realistic terms, it's more a part of Sheffield than Stocksbridge could be said to be!

Stocksbridge can still call itself a town apparantly - prior to local government reorganisation in the early 1970's it was a town and therefore is now designated a "successor parish".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Successor_parish

I'd still contend Bradfield, Wharnsliffe Side etc per my earlier post are still to all intents and purposes villages rather than suburbs.

I'd still contend Bradfield, Wharnsliffe Side etc per my earlier post are still to all intents and purposes villages rather than suburbs.

I wouldn't disagree, but I was (in the thread mentioned in the OP) being specific about Hillsborough; on this thread I've been using the official definition of town and city.

I wouldn't disagree, but I was (in the thread mentioned in the OP) being specific about Hillsborough; on this thread I've been using the official definition of town and city.

I agree with your definition of Hillsborough as a suburb - and it has been for at least the last 100 years.

Whilst both are within the Sheffield City Council boundaries, I would consider there is a good case for both Stocksbridge and Chapeltown to be viewed as "towns" given their size and their physical separation from Sheffield.

Certainly Stocksbridge used to have its own town council prior to being incorporated unto Sheffield in 1972.

You could certainly say that places like Bradfield, Dungworth, Wharncliffe Side and Oughtibridge were separate villages.

The places mentioned in previous posts eg Dore, Totley, Hillsborough, Mosborough etc I'd class as suburbs these days.

I believe historically there was never a village of Hillsborough. The nearest was Owlerton. Hillsborough area took its name from Hillsborough Hall, built by Thomas Steade in 1779. He apparently named the Hall after Lord Downside’s residence in County Down, Northern Ireland which was also called Hillsborough.Apparently he was an admirer of Lord Downside who was a patron

As the area developed in later years, Hillsborough grew up as a suburb without ever having been a village.

I believe historically there was never a village of Hillsborough. The nearest was Owlerton. Hillsborough area took its name from Hillsborough Hall, built by Thomas Steade in 1779. As the area developed in later years, Hillsborough grew up as a suburb without ever having been a village.

I wouldn't disagree with that. Like most cities in this country, Sheffield grew rapidly in the 1800's and as well as engulfing surrounding villages, developed suburbs were nothing had been before (except perhaps the odd farm and a pair of cottages).

Stocksbridge can still call itself a town apparantly - prior to local government reorganisation in the early 1970's it was a town and therefore is now designated a "successor parish".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Successor_parish

I think that Bradfield is civil parish. It did not elect councilors to the city council this year.

It seems that some officials class it as a village

http://www.peakdistrictinformation.com/towns/bradfield.php

I think that Bradfield is civil parish. It did not elect councilors to the city council this year.

It seems that some officials class it as a village

http://www.peakdistrictinformation.com/towns/bradfield.php

Bradfield never elects councillors to the City Council. It elects Parish Councillors to Bradfield Parish Council. As far as the City Council is concerned, Bradfield is part of Stannington ward, which elects councillors to the City Council.

Bradfield never elects councillors to the City Council. It elects Parish Councillors to Bradfield Parish Council. As far as the City Council is concerned, Bradfield is part of Stannington ward, which elects councillors to the City Council.

:confused: Oops my bad. Sorry

Archived